Really really basic question re: amount of food to turn in ++

Smoki

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi. Great site. I had a really basic question about competition Q that I cant find anywhere. From my understanding each judge (about 5 of them) each get 5 pieces of meat in a box. So if each judge gets 5 ribs, and there are 5 judges, you need to make at a minimum 25 ribs. OK thats fine.

But, for chicken, I have seen most box pictures online with 5 thighs in one box.... Is this a communial turn in box, or are we expected to turn in 5 boxes with 5 thighs each, for a total of 25 thighs for each judge to take one bite?? Seems excessive. Also, a lot of people have said they compete with only an 18" or 22" (or some combination)- how would 25 chicken thighs fit in pans (thats how I saw them do it on TV and on we )in a smoked this size (and round.)
FYI:

I am interested in doing a local competition some point next year probably for just chicken or chicken and ribs just for fun, with buying one or two WSM 18" or 22", but wanted to make sure this was possible, so i was wondering about the chicken thighs. I have a large big green egg now, but would rather buy a wsm and stick it in my car than risk bringing an egg and it cracking.

Thanks guys!!!!! :)

KCBS requires that a category turn-in box contain enough for six portions, one portion for each of 6 judges at the table. So you submit one box for each category, with either 6 (or more) pieces of chicken, 6 (or more) ribs, enough pork for 6 portions, and at least 6 (or more) pieces of brisket. It never hurts to put more than the minimum, as long as all of it is the same good quality.
So yes, it's entirely possible to do an entire contest on a couple of WSMs.

Since you're in Florida, maybe one of our members more conversant with FBA can advise you about their entry requirements.

Last edited:
I think what you're misunderstanding is that your box only contains enough samples for each judge at one table to have one piece of meat from your box. So KCBS you technically only have to cook 6 thighs or 1 rib rack that is then sliced into 6 individual ribs.

Fill your box with as much as you can, provided it's good. If not 6 of everything.

Using chicken as an example, for KCBS you would turn in 1 box containing at least 6 portions of chicken. That could be 6 thighs or 6 wings or 6 drumettes or 6 piles of chopped chicken meat or sliced breast meat or any and all possible combination of the above. Strictly up to the pitmaster / cook. Could also turn in 6 half chickens... IF they would fit in that 9x9 box. Whatever you put in the box, make it your best product.

Awesome thanks everybody. Ive watched a few bbq pitmasters and bbq pitwars and the way they edited or explained it (lack thereof) I couldnt figure it out. But now I know! Thanks.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

My dearest Smoki,
I'm afraid your going into battle with a rubber sword... from your questions it is painfully obvious you are completly unaware of anything to do with competition BBQ other than what you see on the TV!
The first thing you need to do is spend some time reading and understanding the rules of whatever sanctiong body is sponsoring the contest. Next actually attend a local contest and observe the process first hand not the edited TV version. Visit with some teams and tell them of your desires to cook and ask lots of questions, most teams are more than willing to share. Then there is practice, lots of it.
Local backyard comps with just a couple catagories is a good way to start. It's less stress and less expense. A full blown KCBS contest is $600 to over $1000 so jumping in without full understanding of all that's involved will do nothing but sour the experience for you.
Good luck on your journey.
Ed

Back