View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone really sharing secrets?

I know I'm guilty of not really wanting to, or divulging my "discoveries."

Although generally new to the Brethren, I certainly like this forum. Among others I've been members of, this one stands out IMO as a place that is far more welcoming, friendly and helpful.

Anyway, in my short time, I've seen a lot of questions come up. Many of which I have "my answer" to, but one I'm reluctant to give...because I compete. Why share secrets that I've taken 10 years to come up with? On the other hand, I wish I had someone that could have just pointed me in the right direction with out the "you're just gonna have to cook, cook, cook." Not saying that isn't important, it's very important...but I spent a lot of time and money figuring things out. And there isn't a lot of time and money out there these days.

So, I'll pass on something that I've held on to for a long time regarding competition brisket. In the end, I don't think it'll make me less competitive either.

I have a way, a method, that get's every brisket I cook loose enough to gently pull apart a slice, but to hold a slice. This method has NEVER failed me in a competition, or in the back yard AS LONG AS I selected a good piece of meat. Now, admittedly, that is a hard part to describe, but when I pick a brisket it's got to be soft and pliable through the flat. You should be able to bend over fairly easily. If's it stiff and not frozen, this method won't work.

Here's my "secret."
Get your brisket to 185 to 195 degrees, throughout. Keep it there for no less than 3 hours. I use a warmer box. Longer than 3 hours makes NO DIFFERENCE (provided you're not letting the temp creep up). But at the 3 hour mark you're safe. Take it out and slice it up, box it. Taste it, etc. The tenderness and texture will be there. It'll hold a slice, with a nice snap or pull if you want it. By the way, at that point, you can let is rest too...the fats and collagens have rendered (it's just chemistry). If you have time to let it rest, do so for 30 min to an hour. It just get's better.

Sure there are other ways...take it up to 205 in the point, then wrap in towel, etc... I've done it that way, and not been able to get good turn in slices. They're always done, but sometimes too done.

Let's face it...in a comp, we're on the clock. So the popular adage "it's done when it's done" doesn't really work for us. We need to KNOW it's done, and in time for it's turn in.

Hot n fast, low n slow...doesn't matter, those temps and rest time combinations have worked in comps for me over the past 5 years, with 3 top 5 finishes and 1 first place in brisket. I use the same process in my back yard too.

For what it's worth, I always use full packers in the 12-18lb range. I never buy select. Almost always by choice, but I'm picky when I select.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, or 10. Give a try, I'd like to know if it works for you.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->