• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I think N8man did his best to simplify it from the original.
UDSLidHoleLayout.jpg

Life itself is complex.:biggrin:

ChineseBob, I think they are trying to say 8 holes out near the outside edge of the lid.

I think N8man did his best to simplify it from the original.
UDSLidHoleLayout.jpg

Life itself is complex.:biggrin:
I was torn between the Alignments of either Pig or Ram to True Magnetic North. Which would best guide me in my Quest to the Mysterious Yin and Yang of the Sweet Blue?
I Feel The Love, by the way...:p

N8man, I hope you feel the love from Utah baby, that template helped me so much!!! I went and had it blown up and then laminated and have now used it on four drums. Thanks again:mrgreen:

N8man, I hope you feel the love from Utah baby, that template helped me so much!!! I went and had it blown up and then laminated and have now used it on four drums. Thanks again:mrgreen:
Not Meaning to Hijack Norco's Thread but Thanks Bro. That's why I Shared it in the First Place, Brother Helping Brother in Our Search For The Sweet Blue Truth. The Unity of the Brethren Collective, One's Knowledge Shared Becomes One's Insight Gained.:wink:

Divide drum into 3 sections

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

Layout grill holes.
I chose 1 3/4"" and 8" from top. You should assess the drum you are using.

IMG_3031.jpg

Layout Intake holes.
I chose 2" from bottom.

IMG_3032.jpg

Layout Gauge hole.
I chose 9" (1" below lower rack)

IMG_3042.jpg

Centerpunch marks.

IMG_3034.jpg

Drill pilot holes.

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

Drill holes for Intake nipples
I use 1" which lets you thread 3/4" nipple (clean round hole)

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041-1.jpg

Drill out holes for Grate supports
I am going to use 1/4" bolts. I use Unibit to get clean holes in thin metal.

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Open up hole for gauge.
I use 3/4" hole which is a tight fit for a 1/2" pipe thread.

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

Thread in 3/4" close nipples
I use cap to protect threads and screw in as far as possible.
This link will show alternative to welding nipples.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=40

IMG_3047.jpg

Weld in Nipples

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

Install 3/4" ball valve.

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Install gauge.
Again use conduit nut that comes with gauge to lock in.

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

Add Handles (optional)
I got these at Home Depot in the Hardware isle by garage door section. Little tip pre-bend ears with pliers past radius of drum so they will bend and hug drum when tightened.

IMG_3071.jpg

Making Charcoal basket
This is the toughest part. I start with a replacement charcoal grate from a 18.5" weber kettle. I purchased at Home Depot

IMG_3089.jpg

This is a view of legs. I chose 1/2" bolts 3 1/2" long. I use 2 washers and 2 nuts to capture grate.
IMG_3095.jpg

I use a piece of 3/4 #9 expanded metal 8" wide X 44" long.

IMG_3090.jpg

I pre bend it.
IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

Attach it to weber grate. I welded but you can use wire and twist and bolt where overlaps.
IMG_3087.jpg

Here is it complete
IMG_3085.jpg

Reworking Lid
The last part would be to drill 8ea. 1/2" holes equally spaced in flat lid. I am using Weber Kettle lids so I am providing pic. of first UDS I built. Some lids have a 2" threaded bung opening that people have threaded pipe intoto make a smoke stack. Here is a link to examples.

IMG_1928.jpg

Now only thing missing is a couple of 22" Weber grills and you are ready to cook.

4276d.jpg

Last edited:
Is it done yet...is it done yet...is it done yet...??? :twisted: Good job Norco...:biggrin:

This pictorial tribute to the basic Ugly Drum Smoker construction, as executed by one of the Brethren master craftsmen is outstanding!

Armed with Norcoredneck's pictorial guide and and N8man's layout diagram. ANYONE wishing to build their first drum should have no problem achieving success

First time builders should heed the words - keep it simple

Consider that for a small investment in time and money, you will produce a fine smoker!

These literally can be built and used the same day.

fellas,
I know this is several months old, but I am ready to rock and roll on this project. Found some reconditioned drums from an oil place for 26 bucks each. going to do a burn next weekend and get my supplies up. i'll post pics of the build, and sweet delicious smoked porky goodness as well.

godspeed and good smokin'

freddy

Also,
where is the best place to get some expanded metal from?

freddy

freddy, you can get the expanded metal at HD or Lowes but it is not cheap and light weight. Go to a local metal fabricating shop and you can get a lot heavier metal and real cheap, if not free from their cut off pile.

Is it okay to use oil barrels? I am curious if using an oil barrel could be hazardous to your health or would cause problems with flavor? I have been looking for a food quality barrel that had not been used for petroleum products. I found a "green" recycler that sells heavy duty food quality barrels used only once for $30.
Any thoughts or reports?

Is it okay to use oil barrels? I am curious if using an oil barrel could be hazardous to your health or would cause problems with flavor? I have been looking for a food quality barrel that had not been used for petroleum products. I found a "green" recycler that sells heavy duty food quality barrels used only once for $30.
Any thoughts or reports?
I prefer oil drums...they have no liner and the oil burns off easily during construction. Other chemicals I'd have to think twice about though.

Last edited:
I may have to try that then. I can find used once oil barrels for $10 locally but would have to drive 100 miles to get a food quality one that probably has a liner in it for 30 dollars.
I definitely would not use one that was used for pesticides or weed spray but oil would burn off. I had heard that oil remains in the steel for some time but if it is used elsewhere it may be okay to use.
Thanks for the reply.

Check if your oil barrel supplier has food grade oil or mineral oil barrels...those are the safest. If you have any food manufactures in the area, they may have a barrel for you too.

I have been looking through some web sites concerning carcinogens in oils that would be shipped to a fuel oil/lubricant dealer and it appears to me that a barrel that was used to deliver hydraulic oil would be relatively safe. In most cases, hydraulic oils do not contain much if any carcinogenic materials. AS the oil is not used as a lubricant many of the additives that are in motor oils are not present. I checked out safety sites from AmsOil, Mobil, etc and found that carcinogen is not listed as a hazard in their hydraulic fluid.
Of course it is best to be very cautious in selecting the barrel and the oil dealer is required to carry the safety sheets of any of their oil products and should be checked before purchasing a cheap barrel. Food barrels would always be the safest to use as they cannot be used more than one time before being disposed of but lately, most food quality barrels are now made out of recyclable plastic and a steel barrel may become difficult to find in the future.
In any case, it is very important to always check to see what the barrel was used for before making a decision to use it to smoke your food. Burning out the barrel is always necessary no matter what sort of barrel you find.
STAY SAFE

dang i'm going to have to add a UDS. I likes I likes .
Thanks for making that look simple and all those picts in on spot.

Back