Should of done my research on pork butt! HELP

Get this first butt knocked out - then you can tackle pork burnt ends they are Fantastalisous

Get this first butt knocked out - then you can tackle pork burnt ends they are Fantastalisous

Hehe, highlights one of the differences between those just starting out and those who are old had. I've reached the point where I won't even think about smoking a single butt, cause if I'm going to fire my smoker up, I might as well fill the thing.

To that end, since I want some hickory smoked Roast Beef, I just went out and picked up 60+ lbs of Sirloin Tip :-D

I have smoked several butts on my weber grill - the biggest one being 12 lbs. I always plan on 1 ½ hr per pound but usually takes less than that. I wrap in foil at around 160 to help move it throughout the stall since most time its more important to get it done at a certain time than it is to have perfect bark.

Sometimes I will load the kettle up hot enough so the meat goes on at around 300 - 315 degrees and I just let is run it's course all the way down to below 225 before I add more coals (and of course wood chunks). My butts may not will a competition cooked that way but as long as SWMBO and others like it that's all I'm after. Point being..... you really have to try to screw up a butt to really screw it up. Go for it - should turn out fine!

btw - even when I start butts at 4 am the beer flows shortly after. Just sayin' :becky:

Is it done yet?:becky:

Looking forward to hearing some results. Good advice here.

Just cook it, don't sweat any of the small stuff. Pull it when it's tender (the bone test is the best).

Post pics if you like. We like pics.:nod:

I have smoked several butts on my weber grill - the biggest one being 12 lbs. I always plan on 1 ½ hr per pound but usually takes less than that. I wrap in foil at around 160 to help move it throughout the stall since most time its more important to get it done at a certain time than it is to have perfect bark.

Sometimes I will load the kettle up hot enough so the meat goes on at around 300 - 315 degrees and I just let is run it's course all the way down to below 225 before I add more coals (and of course wood chunks). My butts may not will a competition cooked that way but as long as SWMBO and others like it that's all I'm after. Point being..... you really have to try to screw up a butt to really screw it up. Go for it - should turn out fine!

btw - even when I start butts at 4 am the beer flows shortly after. Just sayin' :becky:

Hey, wait.........

The beer doesn't start flowing until AFTER you start the butts ???:doh::doh::doh:

/headshake Rookie !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I'd worry about is how long has the rub been applied prior to cooking? Doesn't it get a little hammy if rubbed to soon?

It can depending on the amount of salt in the rub

Back