Fruit salad help

BBQ PD

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
All of a sudden I am getting requests for fruit salads, which I don't have on my menu. I am looking for a recipe that is not labor intensive, don't really want to be cutting up a load of fruit. I have found a few that taste really good, but they turn out too soupy, so they don't present well. Any help would be greatly appreciated :becky:.

About the only advice I can give is you want to use a little lemon or orange juice on the cut fruit to keep it from discoloring. You can even run a half lemon along your knife blade before slicing - apples especially turn brown quickly if you don't do this. As for recipes, I don't really have any - I usually just cut up whatever looks good. I haven't done catering in years, but I definitely remember the citrus thing and it has served me well. Hope that helps.

Use a plastic lettuce knife to cut up fruit and mist with lemon juice stir and mist again. You can buy cut up fresh fruit at wally worl, but its expensive. I use the fresh frozen, it' s been sprayed with lemon juice and I just vary the fruits from week to week.

Fruit salad can really get to be a mess. I always try to talk them into a tray. Tell them that the leftovers if any are a lot more useable if not eaten. Here is my go to Pineapple platter. HTH

Fruit Tray for 25
1 (3-4 lb) pineapple = 40 chunks
1 (4 lb) cantaloupe = 36 chunks
1 (2 lb) honeydew = 36 chunks
1 (4-5 lb) watermelon = 48 chunks
1 lb green grapes (seedless) = 12-15 clusters
1 lb red grapes (“) = 12-15 clusters
1 lb strawberries = 20-25 berries
3 cups yogurt or poppy seed dressing or dip

With a large knife, split a ripe pineapple lengthwise into fourths from base through green top. Remove core and loosen pineapple from shell using a grapefruit or paring knife. Slice each quarter into 5 triangular shape wedges; cut down center to make 10 wedges leaving them in place in shell. Place a decorated cocktail pick in each chunk. Peel and cut melons into chunks. Snip grapes into clusters. Leave strawberries whole, stems on, do rinse and drain them at the time you serve! Arrange fruit in interesting design on large platter.

All of a sudden I am getting requests for fruit salads, which I don't have on my menu. I am looking for a recipe that is not labor intensive, don't really want to be cutting up a load of fruit. I have found a few that taste really good, but they turn out too soupy, so they don't present well. Any help would be greatly appreciated :becky:.

Dave, I do a frog eye salad with the following.

Acini De Pepe Pasta - these are tiny pasta bits -
Mayo
Cool Whip
Pineapple-crushed and chunk
coconut
Vanilla pudding
Maraschino cherries
Mandarin Oranges

It is quick and easy but looks and tasts good.

If you are interested I'll get the measurements and send to you.

I have found that the route Wannchef mentioned is better than mixed fruit. A fruit tray lets folks choose and lasts longer. I go heavy on grapes and pineapple, as folks seem to really like them.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I think I will try the fruit tray idea and see how that works.

Back