View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 12:13 AM   #197
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
Slow down my friend......this year I have been out there to vend food and make money and I did at both. Ask people what I did in Santa Clara...I started all of my comp trimming/prep at 5AM on Saturday....with a Cash & Carry brisket. I have SRF golds in my freezer but I left them at home. I sacrificed the competition to sell food to the public....and I'll do it again. Did you forget my 8th place outta 34 in North Bend? That is top 25 percentile but I guess that doesn't fit in with your argument. I think I made the most money at that event vending while not trying very hard on the comp side. Before this year, I have roughly 30 KCBS events under my belt with 3 RGCs, 6 top fives and 16 top 10 finishes. I'm okay with that. I am a judge (since 2013) and have judged in this area. I'm not saying judges don't put in their best effort and I don't have anything bad to say about most judges. They are just not professional judges. You have no standards to be held accountable to. You can give any entry any score you want and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Sure, you may get asked about it but you can't change the score. My very first KCBS contest was a Sams Club event. In ribs, there was one judge who thought the meat was not cooked all the way. They told the Reps they would not take a bite of it. It was 6 bones from one single rack of ribs. They could not force them to even take a bite of it and they ended up giving it 2s for taste and tenderness. You see my point! It that typical? No but it happens. You call that professional judging?
Thank you for your contributions to the sport of BBQ and sorry to hear you had some negative experiences with judges but that is why the low score is dropped.

So what would be your criteria for a Professional Judge? Would KCBS Masters’ qualifications be enough for you? Somebody who has put in the time to judge 30+ contests, passed an exam, and cooked with a team not enough?