Gettin' Started

A

Astralman

Hello Everyone,
I was so greatful for all the advice about breaking in competition bbq-in'. It brought up another question...what type of equipment should I start with. When I moved from California, I left my charcoal 22" weber behind. It wasn't competition but he really put out some real good food. I want to buy a new charcoal grill and I also want to get a smoker. What would you recommend as a beginners grill for competition. I know I'll evolve from that one. My wife love where I'm taking this and with our big backyard, she expects lots of q-in' this summer.

Agains thanks for all your helpful advice.

A weber smokey mountain is a great starter smoker. For the money plus more you cannot find anything better IMO. Many teams use this type of smoker with great success.

Chris

Get something that works for you.

The Weber Smoky Mtn works for a lot of folks.

You don't need a bunch of fancy equiptment (it's nice and requires less labor, but it's not required). I've seen all sorts of smokers. A number of folks use home made smokers (drums, barrells, etc.).

A weber smokey mountain is a great starter smoker. For the money plus more you cannot find anything better IMO. Many teams use this type of smoker with great success.

Chris

Thank you...the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is the smoker I researched and liked. I was thinking of getting the 18" one. There was this guy I met in San Diego that smoked briskets and he didn't do it well. It turned me against smoking meat. Other friend of mine smoked some tri tips and they were excellent. So I decided to through caution to the wind and get a smoker.

Oh yeah...

My buddy, Mike 'The Pit Pirate' Hedrick swears by his Silver Smoker and loves his new Double Chef Smoker

birthdaycooker18.jpg

(sorry Mike - had to do this to you!)

Another vote for WSM! We've been very happy with ours, and they've done right by us. When we replaced them this year, we didn't see the need to upgrade to the 22.5" -- with the way we pack our gear, we just didn't have the room or the need for more capacity.

For as long as I can remember I have had a Weber Kettle. I will always have one.
As far as smokers go, I started on a Brinkman Cimmaron offset that my dad bought for me. I still use it, but gravitate towards the WSM. I really love the WSMs. At my first (and only) comp last year I cooked on 4 WSMs and my Cimmaron. It went quite well.
So, I would say you want a 22.5" kettle, and a WSM or a UDS. You'll be stylin that way.

yep... personally I'd vote for a Weber 22.5 kettle and 1 or 2 WSM's, depending on how much meat you plan on cooking for a comp.

I don't know if you can easily cook all four categories in just one WSM, capacity-wise. Maybe you can, I just haven't ever tried it.

I'd recommend two 18.5" WSMs and a 22" kettle to start. John

Ditto what John ^^^^^ said. Or maybe one WSM and one UDS with the 22.5" kettle. No matter what you decide, you'll be getting more cookers later :biggrin:. Don't ask how I know this :rolleyes:.

I am not trying to hijack the thread like a somalian pirate, but I'm sorry I just can't resist:

View attachment 26194

View attachment 26195

:twisted::twisted::lol::lol:
I figured you couldn't pass it up... lol...

OK, back on topic so I (we) don't get in trouble... If you want to start small, go the UDS/WSM route... If you have the guts, go with a nice stick burner... Like a Lang.

Back