Pork Purchase question - date and freshness

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to cook 4 butts overnight Saturday and I need 4 more butts to cook the following weekend for a comp.

Should I:
A) go to Sam's Club Saturday morning and buy a case (8 butts)
B) go to Sam's Club Saturday morning to by 4 butts, then go back again Wednesday evening to buy 4 more to cook for the comp

I'd prefer not to freeze the comp butts prior to cooking, but I am willing to put them in the freezer for a few hours at a day to ensure that I'm keeping them as cold as possible - if that would help with freshness.

I'm going to call Sam's to find out when they get shipments - who knows, maybe both days would be out of the same shipment and it wouldn't matter anyway.

I think holding them in a cold refrigerator in cryovak for a week should be fine. Just make sure the fridge stays cold. However, this would depend on when the case you are buying was slaughtered and packed. Hope this helps!

I'd talk to the meat guy and see if he'd sell you 1/2 now and 1/2 later at case price. Unless you get a real flunky, they will. Just talk to them. You are probably okay doing it that way, but I'd rather have my pork as fresh as possible.

Yeah, next weekend if full of pork cookin machines. We need to not skip any steps here to have a chance of hearing our name.

I think you should be fine, and again, check the dates.... Also remember there is a HUGE difference between 'Sell by' and 'Use by'.....

Talk to them, they have always been willing to work with me.

You'll be fine...Randy and I cooked 4 butts for the Raisin Ranch Comp last fall that were frozen for 6 mos and we got 3rd place (some of the best pork we ever cooked)....Not saying I would do this every time, but it worked...

Last year the Sams in Grandview got there meat in on thursday morning for the weekend rush.

Dont some of you guys age them 3 weeks before comps? I think a few extra days in this case is fine.

Meat manager in Indy told me he's getting a truck in on Wednesday. I'll be back Wednesday night to get 4 more. The price diff was only 16 cents a pound. It wasn't enough to get concerned about.

What was the price there.We went to the Sams in Madison,Wi last nite and bought 3 cases and it was 1.04 a lb.I think it was 1.38 for the twin cryos.Well worth the hour drive for us.

I have frozen them with success. Just give yourself plenty of time to thaw them n the fridge

I think you made the right decision to go back and get 4 more later in the week.
Sedalia, last year, I bought the butts on Monday and held until the weekend.....it was a big mistake, though they weren't bad when I opened them, they were strong....I should have just gone and gotten a couple more there in town and Chris inspect them late, but I chose to go ahead and cook them. Worst finish all year in pork.

Good luck next weekend!

I have frozen them with success. Just give yourself plenty of time to thaw them n the fridge

Given the location of my house and the location of Sam's ... it's less effort to go back and get more then freeze them.

I got 3 of the butts in the cooler now, but one stalled out at 190 and has been there for 2 hours.

Back