• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spicewine Experiment w/ pics

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I decided to try a different cooking method (for me anyway). I filled the waterpan of the Spicewine with Mexican Beach Pebbles (I didn't make that up. It says it on the bag.)

Watts013.jpg

I added about a half gallon of water. Then I put a sheet pan over the rock and added a couple of foil pans to catch the fat.

Watts016.jpg

Then I lit my fire and brought the Spicewine up to temp.

Watts028.jpg

I loaded her up with four 10# briskets at about 11pm and I plan to cook them until 6:30am. Then I will put them in pans, wrap in foil an put them in a cambro unti I get home from work (about 1pm). Should be a nice test for the Spicewine and the Cambro.

Watts030.jpg

Comments?

I don't know enough about a Spicewine to comment, but I do know enough about the price of briskets to say that you are a brave man to experiment with 4 briskets. Hope it works out great for you.

I almost saved a four-year old brisket. Fresh ones don't scare me.

LOL, I see. I just had a flashback to your first brisket post. Man, you sure have come a long way!

I will stay tuned for the results which I am sure will be great.

Ive read off and on that flavoring the water doesnt change the taste of the food. Ill be curious to hear your assesment of the results as I make quite a bit of wine anhave enough to make a test but i would use juice before i used wine:-D

Mista,

That is exactly how I have been cooking. My water pan is filled with "egg rock" and then I put water in it. There is usually a little bit of water left in the pan in the morning and then I just run dry to set the bark up. I'm interested to see what you think.

This is the method we use No problems with it
The rocks work as a heat sink The small amount of water
gives us a very moist cooking environment early on
as the water disipates the bark will set up (we like it that way)
and the rocks control the temps
No stoker no Gurus
It does take a while to get up to temp
A portable house fan pointed at the fire box butterfly will help get ya to 225

Neil, When we going to replace those shelves with expanded metal?

We use Indio Beach pebbles they are bigger

I think I'll get Red Fireglass so it will match my smoker. :biggrin:

Jay may have something in stock
My wheels are OK
Do you think that Trailer getting hit could have started the
process that ended up with that wheel coming out of its press?
There had to be a great deal of stress on the wheels when she hit you

How long does it take to get your cooker up to temp. with the rocks??

It took me about 45 minutes but I start with a full chimney in the maze instead of just a few briquettes in the front. Impatient I guess.

I went out this morning at about 6:30 to pull the briskets. The Spicewine was chugging along at 275. The brisket temps were 170, 185, 190 and 195. All the briskets were roughly the same weight, give or take 1/2 a pound.

Watts034.jpg

Watts035.jpg

Here is the amount of charcoal left...

Watts036.jpg

I put all of the briskets in pans and put them in the cambro. Not seriously worried about slicing because it will all be chopped for sandwiches.

I will take more pics when I get home this afternoon.

Those are some fine looking briskets. I am going to have to break down and buy one of those Spicewines.

Back