How does humidity affect cook times/temps?

ctbeerbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We took a family trip to Houston last week to visit one of Mrs. Beerbq's co-workers that lives down there, and now we're seriously considering moving. The cost of living up in CT is way higher than down there, and you can get so much more house for the $$ in the Houston area. There's also a hell of a lot more BBQ joints down there than up here, and I told her if we're moving I will need a new (bigger) pit :biggrin: . Maybe a Klose or Gator Pit?

Anyway, my question is about humidity and how it affects the cooking. I was outside in early afternoon down there, just watching my daughter play on the playground for ten minutes, and I was sweating like a pig!:shock: It doesn't get like that up north very often, especially not everyday. Will the meat be naturally moist from the humidity, like I was? :roll: :wink:

Thanks for any suggestions.

I live in MIssouri and it gets just as humid and hot here as it does in Houston, but the cost of living is even cheaper here than Houston.
Humidity in my opinion has nothing to do with the moistness of meat. I have had some pretty dry stuff in my time in the most humid parts of the country.
Finishing internal cooking temps along with internal fat has a lot to do with the moistness.

Sometimes a fire just won't burn right in heavy humidity and with shifts in barometric pressure. I've had some days where I was just scratching my head about why the wood wouldn't burn right and then see a storm front come in......I don't think the weather made my head itch, though....

Having spent time in both Texas and Missouri, your barbecue could receive additional moisture depending on how much of your sweat was dripping on the meats. :rolleyes:

humidity

The only problem I have had is when I had a offset and the wood seemed to take longer to catch, other than that no other problems.
Eric

What ole'e said. preheat the wood to dry it out some.

I really haven't noticed a fire control issue with high humidity. But it does seem to give me a heaver smokiness on the meat.

Maybe because the barometric pressure, suppresses the atmospheric stratosphere, causing the smoke to lay in a closer proximity to the meat. So in accordance with Newtons Law of Gravity,the meat will absorb the smoke more readily, or not. I think I heard this on Mr Wizard, when I was a kid. ;-)
Dave

I really haven't noticed a fire control issue with high humidity. But it does seem to give me a heaver smokiness on the meat.

Maybe because the barometric pressure, suppresses the atmospheric stratosphere, causing the smoke to lay in a closer proximity to the meat. So in accordance with Newtons Law of Gravity,the meat will absorb the smoke more readily, or not. I think I heard this on Mr Wizard, when I was a kid. ;-)
Dave

Ummmm.......Doc, could ya just tell me in plain English? Am I dying or what........:shock: :mrgreen:

Having spent time in both Texas and Missouri, your barbecue could receive additional moisture depending on how much of your sweat was dripping on the meats. :rolleyes:

I figure I could also reduce the amount of salt in my rub as well...:icon_sick

It does require 20% more beer to Q in high humidity ;)

I was thinking more like 30 - 40% more, at least until my body adjusts to the climate.... which I hear could take a couple of years. I may have to join the AA forum soon...:wink:

Back