Backwoods G2 Chubby

Downeyhead

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok, Right now I have an 18" and a 22" WSM. I am looking to upgrade to an insulated, vertical smoker. I am looking for reviews from owners of the G2 Chubby. Now that is has been out for a while what do you think? Would you have gotten something different? Why? Or, are you happy with it? I cook mainly for the family and small cookouts. I have competed a few times and would like to compete more in the future. I plan on keeping the 22 WSM as well. Thoughts?

I had one, loved it and how it cooked so much, my wsm became neglected, sold both for something bigger. Cool little cooker.

I've got a Party G2. I looked at the Chubby, but I wanted to be able to cook for 20-30 people if the occasion arose (which it did!). I love it. If you have the funds, you might even look at the Fatboy. Can't go wrong whichever you go with. I just knew I'd end up upgrading in a year if I didn't just pull the trigger. Good luck!

I really like mine. I use it in competitions along with a G2 party. The chubby is my ribs cooker. If you are cooking larger meats there are really only 2 usable racks so keep that in mind for larger cooks or if you think you might plan on competing more. I've gotten 4 butts on a rack, but that is fairly tight.

I would sell my 22" WSM and buy the biggest backwoods you could afford. I have had the Gater and G2 chubby. The chubby is an awesome cooker, but you will always find yourself wanting more room. As soon as the G2 Fatboys come out I will be selling the chubby and upgrading again.

I love the g2 chubby finding the time with the boys schedules is my only dilemma as for cooking for the small crowds I just did acook for 150 and was shocked i got 8 butts the first smoke totaling 60 pounds after trimming and 30 the next smoke and only used 20 pounds of charcoal with the digiq running and ended up have Avery little bit of charcoal left!

I sold my (regular) Party to a friend, still have my (regular) Chubby, and a new Competitor.

LOVE BWS. With the regular Chubby (can't speak to the G2), the only issue is that it can really get HOT fast and run away on ya. The added space of the G2 should diminish that. I'm not saying it's a problem -- just gotta realize that when a smaller (insulated) box starts getting hot, you gotta pay attention and choke back the firebox O2 at the right time -- or will shoot up to 4-500 faster than you think. Just need to keep a small fire and pay attention.

With the Party and the Competitor (and probably with a G2 Chubby), you don't have to be as "eagle-eyed" making adjustments.

With any Backwoods, if you dial it in (close one side completely, and close the other to a thumb width -- rough guideline) about 50 degrees before target, they'll hold real nice for ya. Of course, the model, size, water/no-water, etc. will affect that, but --- what I'm saying is that you don't really need a Guru or such.

Gotta learn 'em (like any smoker) but you won't go wrong with a BWS.
I'd love to have a G2 Chubby ;-)

I sold my (regular) Party to a friend, still have my (regular) Chubby, and a new Competitor.

LOVE BWS. With the regular Chubby (can't speak to the G2), the only issue is that it can really get HOT fast and run away on ya. The added space of the G2 should diminish that. I'm not saying it's a problem -- just gotta realize that when a smaller (insulated) box starts getting hot, you gotta pay attention and choke back the firebox O2 at the right time -- or will shoot up to 4-500 faster than you think. Just need to keep a small fire and pay attention.

With the Party and the Competitor (and probably with a G2 Chubby), you don't have to be as "eagle-eyed" making adjustments.

My G2 would take off as well, Bigger, but still small in comparison.

Back