• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bison Short Ribs w/pron

Meatatarian

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Thanks to bison raising relatives we are familiar with and enjoy a good helping of buffalo. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to try smoking a plate of shorts from this magnificent beast. Due to grazing conditions in our area, the butcher was out of buff but trying to find a new source. I put in my order and got the call the other day. I rec'd a full plate cut in half. On one half I removed the large cap of meat for a braising to be held in the future. The other half I left intact--minus membrane of course. The morsels have been rubbed with a brisket profile that I played with a bit and are resting comfortably in the fridge. The smoking will commence tomorrow noonish in my offset using a blend of hickory and red oak. Methinks super low and slow with lots of basting to keep that red meat moist and tender.

Attachments

• Buff Bones 1.jpg
    Buff Bones 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Buff Bones 2.jpg
    Buff Bones 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 304
  • Rubbed Buff Bones 1.jpg
    Rubbed Buff Bones 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have high hopes for this

Interesting. Will have to look for these after seeing how they turn out for you. :clap:

Things are looking good here friends! These are the shorts coming out of the fridge after an overnighter. Next are the ribs hitting the smoker.

Attachments

• Next day.jpg
    Next day.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Hittin' the smoker.jpg
    Hittin' the smoker.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Thanks
The next 2 are the first mopping at 1 hour @240 degrees. The 2nd is right at 2 hours as I was removing to wrap. I am thinking I am going to pull the "bare bones" ribs after an hour in the crutch and sear them off for a total cook time of just over 3 hours. The half plate with the meat cap will stay in the wrap for 2 hours plus a sear for just over 4 hours. Hopefully the silver skin between the cap and the top of the bones on the intact section will be softened up by then. If not---I'll learn from it as I eat around it!!

Attachments

• First mop.jpg
    First mop.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 2 Hours:time to wrap.jpg
    2 Hours:time to wrap.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Thanks
Here is the stripped down half plate. 2 hours smoke--1 hour crutch--15 minute sear and sauce. This half plate was slightly dry even with much mopping. I would drop it to a 205 degree cook and keep everything else the same. Maybe a little salty but for taking a brisket rub and mop and trying to punch it up I am happy. I wouldn't call this half a 10 but it certainly wasn't a fail.
When the meaty half is done the pron will come....

Attachments

• Finished bonez 01.jpg
    Finished bonez 01.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Finished bonez 02.jpg
    Finished bonez 02.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 136
I would love to gnaw on one of those right about now. :hungry:

I've never had bison - how does this compare to beef as far as taste, texture, etc. are concerned?

I would love to gnaw on one of those right about now. :hungry:

I've never had bison - how does this compare to beef as far as taste, texture, etc. are concerned?

Come on over! I drink regular Bud!!

Finer grain than beef. Taste is very similar. Very silky bite. There is no "that's a little gamey". Definitely a leaner meat. Don't be afraid of an oil based mop and use oil as a pre rub rather than say a mustard slather. I got more shrinkage than I expected but without the dryness. I would run closer to 200 than 240 next time----and there will be a next time after this. I still have some learning to do but am quite pleased for a first attempt at the great American meat beast......

• Thanks
Back