styrofoam "turn in" boxes in KC?

bigzthamoose

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok, im flying solo at my first competition in three weeks, (years of just helping a team) and one thing i want to do for sure, is build the boxes prior to competition, bc i hate building boxes. Where can i buy styrofoam carryout boxes?? I havent seen them at the few places ive been to. Can i get at costco? i dont have a membership to RD, so thats off the list. Im in KC area, any help would be awesome!! Want to make this first comp go as smooth as possible!!

Do you mean build the boxes prior for practice or to actually put your food in at the comp and turn it in? For practice, you get an RD one day pass with your KCBS membership. I wouldn't suggest trying to build your boxes ahead of time to use at a comp. You don't know what boxes they are using. I've seen many different types of clamshell boxes and I haven't even done that many comps compared to other teams. I've even seen some corn based boxes, they are not all the same. I would expect that if you put your meat in a box you brought that you would be getting that box back and be DQ'd.

Do you mean build the boxes prior for practice or to actually put your food in at the comp and turn it in? For practice, you get an RD one day pass with your KCBS membership. I wouldn't suggest trying to build your boxes ahead of time to use at a comp. You don't know what boxes they are using. I've seen many different types of clamshell boxes and I haven't even done that many comps compared to other teams. I've even seen some corn based boxes, they are not all the same. I would expect that if you put your meat in a box you brought that you would be getting that box back and be DQ'd.

Some teams build boxes early and transfer them over to their official boxes. There are a number of ways to do it. It is all legal per KCBS. I've done it in the past but found I was spending more time fixing the boxes after I transferred them than it took to make a box.

You just "flip" the parsley into the "turn-in" containers. I do it all the time. You may need to adjust/add/subtract some parsley but that only takes a few minutes.

The only box you will be able to use are the numbered boxs handed out at the cooks meeting. Even if you made boxes ahead of time you will still have to use the ones given to you by KCBS.
Ed

My wife make ours early. She used to slide them into the official boxes, but now the wife thinks the double flip method is what works best for her. I try to have as little as possible to do with the boxes.

We buy our empty clamshells at Sams in bulk.

My wife make ours early. She used to slide them into the official boxes, but now the wife thinks the double flip method is what works best for her. I try to have as little as possible to do with the boxes.

We buy our empty clamshells at Sams in bulk.

double flip is the only way to go!

Double flip is the way to go. Buy at Sam's or Costco but you get a bunch of them. You can do takeout at my restaurant (you will need five sandwiches, 4 for the box and 1 for the flip, Thank you for the business) or just build them on site on Saturday.

So is the size 9" x 9" to the outside of the clamshell? leaves maybe 7" x & internal at the bottom? I got some at Fridays to practice this weekend and want to make sure I am playing with the correct size.

Can someone describe the double flip in detail. I am a visual learner.:oops:

Here is the way I do it.
1. Make up box, put damp paper towel on top, close lid.
2. Flip box upside down (so parsley is now in the lid)
3. Open & Open ACTUAL turn-in box
4. Line up BOTTOM of ACTUAL Turn-in Box over the parsley in the lid of other box
5. Flip over
6. Adjust as needed.

So is the size 9" x 9" to the outside of the clamshell? leaves maybe 7" x & internal at the bottom? I got some at Fridays to practice this weekend and want to make sure I am playing with the correct size.

There's no standard! Creates a lot of fun at contests when you get a really shallow or narrow box. Should be 9x9 on the outside, yes.

If you don't have access to an RD or Sam's try here. Cheaper than 5 sandwiches :becky:

http://www.amazon.com/Hefty®-Hinged...8&qid=1377263566&sr=1-2&keywords=food+9"+x+9"

Thanks, I do have access to RD but didn't want to buy 300 if I don't decide to do a second comp. They are cheap, I believe it was 300 for 10 to 15 bucks, just storage of 290 would be a challenge or a waste if never used again.

I drink so much at Friday's they will give them to me :wacko:

There's no standard! Creates a lot of fun at contests when you get a really shallow or narrow box. Should be 9x9 on the outside, yes.

If you don't have access to an RD or Sam's try here. Cheaper than 5 sandwiches :becky:

http://www.amazon.com/Hefty®-Hinged...8&qid=1377263566&sr=1-2&keywords=food+9"+x+9"

Like one of the previous suggestions, find a local restaurant that uses 9X9 take home containers and ask nicely. My local Glory Days (sports bar/restaurant) uses 9x9s and I've asked them a couple times for 4 or 5 boxes at a time with no problem. They look at you a bit funny, I just smile and say thanks rather than explain. ;-)

Back