Buck a bone rib cook off, Long Island teams please read!

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey guys! Well I work for a vineyard out east, Jamesport Vineyards. We've got a big backyard and we're looking to do things to generate a nice sized crowd. Live music every weekend, beer, food. We do well. I threw out the possibility of adding a 1 day rib cook off. We supply the ribs, a few teams come out. The general public buys tickets from us for $1 and you get a single bone. We are looking at either september 29th, or oct 6. Just want to see if any of the local teams would want to come out for a one day thing. No entry fee for the teams, ribs provided by the vineyard. If you're interested, please say something!

watch October 6th. A lot of teams will be headed to the Royal or the Atlantic City COmp that weekend.

it's also the kickoff day for the CT auto qualifier for the jack. Not looking to get a lot of teams out, maybe 3-4 on top of my own. Figured if anyone was local and bored it would be a low cost day to come out and hang.

you're not sounding shallow at all! And that's something I hadn't even considered.

Maybe I should pose the simple question of, what would you want to get out of a contest that was free to enter, and provided the meats? I'm sure I could try and court some local sponsors. I do know that we can provide adult beverages, provided everyone cooking enjoys that type of thing, it may not benefit everyone.

Would an informal winner take all sidebet be appropriate? I don't want to be accused of having things swayed in my direction, or maybe I should leave myself out altogether. There's apparently plenty of things I didn't thoroughly think thru.

hmmm, never thought about it before, but this comes to mind...

NO prize payout, but teams get a percentage of the buck per bone for their effort.

a trophy or plaque or something for the winners.

this will allow the teams without "the most friends and family" from losing out financially, as well as offering some bragging right possibilities to all. along with a good time, that sounds pretty cool to me.

Teams get 25 or 50 cents from each rib sold. The teams do not do the selling, they turn the ribs into a main distribution center and they sell from there, taking out the dog and pony show aspect of generating a crowd around your booth. People line up at the main table and have the choice of ribs from teams 1 to whatever, or they can have a plate that has a rib from every team on it. Every time someone buys a plate they get a piece of paper or another sort of marking device and put the number from the rib they liked the best on it and turn it in. Votes are counted and the winner takes home a branded barrel top that was mentioned in an earlier post.

why limit it to ribs and a contest? why not have something like the bbq block party in nyc on a smaller scale? also, probably go deeper into the season to get away from that hectic weekend.

Back