first post! first smoker build thread!

Godeaten

Found some matches.
Reaction score
hey folks!
My name is Nick this is my first post, and its about my first smoker build!

Background: Im 28 years old, im a welder by day. i make labeling systems for many things you probably use every day. i also build trailers for hauling mobility scooters in my spare time.

My build: My build is going to be a 300 (estimated) gallon diesel fuel tank from the farm. my fire box will be a 55 gallon drum. and all will be mounted on an 8ft trailer with a 1500lb rockwell torsion trailer axle.

my tank:
image-3.jpg

I started with my tank. cut a door and mounted my hinges.
to cut my door i used a thermal dynamics plasma cutter ( tank has been empty and vented for almost 10 years)

Next I burned out my tank. started my fire with some real nice hardwood and burned it over night and a about 6 hours the next day. fueling it it with a leaf blower to get it really hot.
image.jpg

once i got the measurements for my cooking shelf i went to work on that.
i used 1x1 square tubing and built my frame. ( still waiting on my expanded metal to come for the grate) i used some stainless 1/2 inch rod scrap from work to make to handles to pull out my shelf.
image-1.jpg

next i have crafted some handles for my lid using horse shoes. just a little heat a vice and a hammer to bent them
image-2.jpg

next i added some flange to my lid to keep it from falling inside and to seal up the lid. on the bottom portion i used an old saw blade from out massive saw at work ( i knocked off the points of the teeth to avoid getting hurt and mounted the teeth up its just for looks) i dont have a picture of this yet sorry!

next i set everything up on one of my little trialers to see how it will all mount up. this trailer is only 4ft long and i just have the ramp extended in the picture to get the 8ft look.
image-4.jpg

here is a picture of the lid closed with the handles mounted. this is currently how it sits until the weekend!

null.jpg

be careful propping the door open with that stick. a guy who worked on my kinfolks' chicken farm lost his arm just below the elbow when the stick fell out of a pig cooker door.

It is temporary. No extremities entering. It was for photos only. In going to do a car style dual hood prop in the end I think.

Nice! Going to want to beef up that drum for the firebox... If not it will burn through very easily... What I mean by beef up is to curve a 1/4 or better plate and line the top and bottom of the drum with it to help shield it from the abuse burning sticks puts out! Love the idea of your handles! May want to check into springs for them though.. They may heat up.. A lot when cooking.. Great looking build!!!!

although i like the idea, it seems to me that those horseshoes would burn your hand off. Good looking build otherwise

Going to address some questions and concerns that I have received.

As far as the welder it is a miller millermatic 180.

The handles will surely get pretty toasty! But as for now I just plan to have my oven mits handy. I'll need them for my pull out shelf anyway. So I have little concern about it for now.

And as for the 55gallon drum, my family has used a double drum smoker in our hunting cabin for over 20 years and we have yet to replace the barrels. But I will keep this in mind. If it fails ill just have to grab another drum and put it on. I will have a grate inside for building my fire . So it will not quite be direct.

Thanks for the input so far! I can't wait to get back to it this weekend!

So would the drum work with a fire grate and expanded steel box in it? I am thinking of doing the same for a fire box but I don't want to have to reinforce the thing.

Drum is generally to thin.. may be fine as a grill.. but if you are burning sticks in it.. it will burn through fairly quickly.. what i mean by fairly quickly is under 5 years.. reason being is that to heat the main chamber properly you are going to need to Burn Sticks.. as in live fire burn.. as opposed to charcoal/wood smoldering.. this hitting the thin sides of the drum will heat and burn through fairly quickly.. as in under 5 years.. maybe under 2 if you cook a lot..

Last edited:
Hmmmm maybe I'll just weld a box together. Problem is I have a 110 flux core gasless welder and i doubt I'll be able to weld 1/2 inch with it. Plus 1/2 inch ain't cheap

nice looking rig. I can't wait to see the finished product

Back