Adding fuel to UDS when using Minion method...how to.

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to fire up the smoker for an especially long cook. I can currently get about 16 hours of heat from 16 pounds of charcoal ( it could be longer but I've never done more than 16 hours so I'm not sure what is left in the basket) if I need to cook longer how can I add charcoal to my basket without causing a flare up. It seems like adding charcoal on top of
already lit coals its going to be a recipe for a manageable heat.

So if I need to add Kohl's should I just go into the basket and start over or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

You are thinking too hard about this. If you are going to go more than 16 hours (not sure what cut of meat would need this) Just add more coals to the top. You may initially get a spike in temperature which is normal for a UDS when opening it up, but it shoudl settle in where it was. If not, just adjust your intakes to get it to settle into the temperature you want it at.

Hrm... How big is your basket and what temps are you running at? I can only fit around 10 lbs of charcoal in my basket and my UDS can run at 230-250 for a solid 16 hours.

Curious, what are you cooking for 16 hours?

I'm cooking two butts that are going to overlap With putting a brisket on tomorrow morning So I'm probably going to need 20 to 24 hours total. I cook at 250-270

Just add em on top and shake the ash down while you're at it. One thing, if you're using briqs, esp. KBB, make sure you light them in a chimney first! Then add them to your cooker's basket. Not all the coals need be rippin hot, just enough that they stop giving off that "Kingsord blue smoke" that happens when they light. Gets rid of that initial "chemical stink" so it won't end up on your food.

I usually just push all the coals over to one side and then pour the unlit into the other. You can let it go a few 5 or 10 minutes if you want it to burn off the nasties of where the new charcoal is hitting the old coal before you put it back in. The pit should stay heated up enough that it wouldn't hurt anything.

Another option is to put the butts on long enough till they are ready to wrap in foil, then throw them into a pan in the oven until they are done. They won't be taking smoke on then anyway. Throw the brisket on when you pull the butts and then do the same with the brisket when the pit runs out of fuel. I've done that many times without any issue.

Just add em on top and shake the ash down while you're at it. One thing, if you're using briqs, esp. KBB, make sure you light them in a chimney first! Then add them to your cooker's basket. Not all the coals need be rippin hot, just enough that they stop giving off that "Kingsord blue smoke" that happens when they light. Gets rid of that initial "chemical stink" so it won't end up on your food.

I'm a bit confused. I use kingsford in my UDS, and never heard anyone mention this chemical stink before. Does this happen as they ash over?

I typically use the Minion method, so would this mean that I've been cooking it with this smell the whole time? I imagine as the cook goes on, more coals ash over, and thus releasing this chemical smell you are talkinga bout?

I've only done it this way so I'm not sure if I'm getting a taste that I shouldn't be.

I'm gonna roll along with just pushing hot coals to the side and adding unlit next to it.. I'm not gonna add a lit chimney to a smoker that's sitting at the temp I want. That's seems counter-intuitive. If that was the case, I could just dump coals on the Weber and finish it there.

If you have never tasted the chemicals then don't worry about it, some people can taste it others can't. I agree with pushing to the side, I always do this in my smoker. Have fun.

Your over thinking this. Stuff your all meat in at the same time and it will all finish close to the same time 16 hrs should plenty.

I'm cooking two butts that are going to overlap With putting a brisket on tomorrow morning So I'm probably going to need 20 to 24 hours total. I cook at 250-270

Havin a large basket really helps to not have to reload. Using lump you can always reuse the coals, just give it a good shake and add more to the top. 20 lbs of lump and some mesquite chunks could have fit more. Built it according to the pickled pig charcoal basket tutorial. Ran for 30 hrs @225, the good thing about lump is you can just add more. If your adding briquettes, you better remove your food till the nasty smoke clears out.
6c0fd159.jpg

63e10534.jpg

a3e6e7d6.jpg

22 lbs of kingsford bb. Could have fit 40 lbs
132ff76d.jpg

Back