Caveman Ribeye

Looks great! Never seen it done "caveman style" directly on the coals before. Love the Homer grill too!

Do you use your 1983 Weber WGA very often? If not, then perhaps it would be up for job... :idea:

I did some caveman tenderloins on the WGA. The handles get so FARKING HOT you can feel it though mitts...............:twitch:

I gotta try caveman style:mrgreen: Man that looks good!

For those that are afraid to just throw the steak directly on the coals (i'm scared myself) i use these disposable really thin grates made for cooking veggies on the grill. I get a pack of like 4 at walmart for like 5 bucks...you can reuse the grates for caveman steaks ten's of times. Just place the grate directly on the coals and caveman away. Here's how i do it.

-22.5" kettle
-full chimney of lump
-pile lump up on one side once its ready and add a chunk or 2 of pecan
-Put regular food grate in and place steak opposite fire for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until 105 to 110F internal before searing
-remove steak and food grate and spread coals a bit and place the disposable grate directly on the fire.
- sear steak 75 to 90 seconds per side.
- rest 5 minutes
- eat best steak ever!

Pretty much covers why fire walking shouldn't be attempted ;)

Great looking cook Bluesman. We love steak cooked this way but I have some friends who are still skeptical to try this method. They are missing out big time. Thanks for posting.

I do about 1-1 1/2 minutes per side per inch of thickness. I monitor with my Super Fast Red Thermapen and pull at 120* internal

Ok. Tonight's the night. gonna try the caveman style ribeye. Wish me luck.
Oh and I saw a thread here on "chimney" caveman. It has a grate. it has a chimney. How on earth is that caveman? Cavemen didn't have grates and chimneys. Cmon. I think I'm pressing my luck with charcoal. Tim the tool man Taylor would be proud

I'll get pictures if I can, but I'm new so it might take a year or so,,,,:arrow::pray:

I don't think you wanna do caveman over charcoal briquettes.

Thanks for the warning.
have NEVER used briquettes Even in a chimney. (yes, I know$$) I aint rich but... I DON'T BBQ every day, and if I learn, I learn properly.

Anyone got a rub? or just plain Lawry's seasoned pepper and a bit of fresh garlic?

Been meaning to give this a shot - this may inspire me to do so!

Just one single flip? Or do you do it a couple of times so it's a bit more even?

Back