BBQ Pitmaster's season premiere

Just a question, but how is it a lack of integrity if, it isn't against the rules? He took the same approach that Myron Mixon did, on the show Smoked. Where he seperated the point from the flat so he could get bark on all sides of the point before making burnt ends.

If it isn't against the rules and it is a technique that allows for a better product, I personally don't find it lacking integrity.

And the episode of where are they now for season one would be great! Obviously Tuffy Stone and Myron are judges for Pitmasters. I would love to see how the others are doing in their competition/professional career. I also want to know if the rookie was able to figure out the whole competition bbq scene and do better than he had been.

It's not against KCBS rules to separate the point from flat in brisket. The parting rules for pork don't apply to brisket. I think this is a little touchy since there is a belief that some teams are parting pork in comp's today. The rules are supposed to change next year so it will be a non-issue.

Congrats to Butcher BBQ! I love your products and was pulling for you while watching.

A couple observations...
I found it interesting that the show keyed on the fact that Butcher has been a butcher for years and will have an advantage in that department. Then Tuffy commented on "knife skills" when looking at his ribs. There were a couple other "tells" during the show that seemed a bit fishy. I'm not going to say it's rigged but I'm not so sure the judging is as blind as they portray.

Driver... I think it's pretty well governed by the game show people... but I can see how it may seem questionable... I think it probably comes down to editing and the fact that a lot of those "cameo" comments are probably shot after the fact etc.

It's not against KCBS rules to separate the point from flat in brisket. The parting rules for pork don't apply to brisket. I think this is a little touchy since there is a belief that some teams are parting pork in comp's today. The rules are supposed to change next year so it will be a non-issue.

I understand that KCBS rules allow for separating the point from the flat, however this is a TV show competition that is not governed by the KCBS and apparently was not against the rules laid down for the competition. The pitmaster didn't try to hide doing it in a trailer, he did it on camera, infront of everybody, and explained why he was doing it.

Nothing shady or inconspicous about it.

I missed the premier. I'm still trying to catch up on the ones I recorded from the previous season. I had seen all the ones on TV with the documentary style season 1 and season 2 that ended with "A Boy and his BBQ" winning, but I double-checked on Netflix to make sure. I believe I'd seen some of the next season, but I went ahead and record them on my U-verse. I think I saw most of the season that ended with Father vs Son, but since that was the only one avilable to record I'm not sure. I think they should do more teams. At competitions don't judges judge 6 boxes at a time. Why not expand to at least 4? Maybe have another round or allow a wild card save by the judges to compete in another round.

Did anyone see the Episodes of Chopped related to grilling?

I didn't come in from my shop in time to watch the first airing and fell asleep about 20 min into the later airing. Any way to watch these today online or something?

Chris

Looks like this seasons the same layout as last season just with a guest judge each week. I like it but i still think the first season was the best yet

I think a lot of critics of season one was that they often ended up in places with bad weather, and a lot of the BBQ Pitmasters weren't placing in competitions.

I didn't come in from my shop in time to watch the first airing and fell asleep about 20 min into the later airing. Any way to watch these today online or something?

Chris

Do they even show full episodes online like other channels?

Things I took away from the airing tonight -

1. Guest Judging - interesting approach and will give a different perspective with each episode. I would like to see Triggs as a guest judge.
2. My wife noted - that the judge directly stated he didn't like sweet yet the other two did; then asked how can you be a judge if you can't put personal preferences aside and judge on the cook at hand? Hit pause and had a 20 minute discussion - was interesting.
3. Was disappointed that one cook separated the Money Muscle ... I know the cook is not standard sanction or anything but still found it to be lacking integrity.
4. They did a little better job of trying to highlight the different techniques/approaches each team took and the end result.
5. As a pit master you need to know your meats and what is possible!

Idea for an episode: Do a where are they now for the season one.

Yeah a lot of critics liked the change of format starting with season 3, but they somewhat criticized the fact a lot of technique was not being shown like in season 1

Great show. I was tricked by "re-ignited" though. It seems they were shows which already had aired even though the DVR called them 1st runs. Cant wait to see more new shows.I know its helped to improve my BBQ since watching.

I was confused as well. IS Re-ignited an alternative recording of episodes that already happened because I don't remember any of those?

I was confused as well. IS Re-ignited an alternative recording of episodes that already happened because I don't remember any of those?

The Re-Ignited episodes have scenes that were edited out of the original airing. The deleted/extended scenes range from very helpful (actually explaining what sugar cookie in the Texas BBQ episode, as opposed to the original unclear mumbling by Aaron Franklin) to added questioning/critiques from the judges to the contestants (I know this happened on the Kansas City BBQ and Kentucky BBQ episodes), to some useless jibber jabber between the teams (Georgia BBQ episode).

I noticed these because I had them playing in the background as I did chores around the house and also while playing video games.

The Re-Ignited episodes have scenes that were edited out of the original airing. The deleted/extended scenes range from very helpful (actually explaining what sugar cookie in the Texas BBQ episode, as opposed to the original unclear mumbling by Aaron Franklin) to added questioning/critiques from the judges to the contestants (I know this happened on the Kansas City BBQ and Kentucky BBQ episodes), to some useless jibber jabber between the teams (Georgia BBQ episode).

I noticed these because I had them playing in the background as I did chores around the house and also while playing video games.

I must have missed the originals. None of these seem even remotely familiar. Or maybe I've seen so many they run together.

Excellent episode!
I was down at Pensacola that Fri visiting a friend - Forrest's Fine Foods. That venue is small to start with with the teams stacked on top of each other.
The TV set took up a good chunk of the small real estate available.

For those on the WWW who have been vocal in wanting the "basic" BBQ meats used, they should be tickled pink with Butts and Ribs.
Lots of technical info put out.
My opinion is a bit different, but that is just what it is, an opinion. 8)

Should be a good season.

TIM

Who was the meat supplier (can't remember offhand now)? It wasnt' SRF as in the past years.

Since Butcher's in on here, what do you think of that supplier vs the normally available stuff such as IBP etc?

I understand that KCBS rules allow for separating the point from the flat, however this is a TV show competition that is not governed by the KCBS and apparently was not against the rules laid down for the competition. The pitmaster didn't try to hide doing it in a trailer, he did it on camera, infront of everybody, and explained why he was doing it.

Nothing shady or inconspicous about it.

Reason I made this statement originally is because the majority of the episodes take place at other SANCTIONED events; majority being KCBS (correct me if I am wrong). And while it might not be sanctioned, several viewers may not understand that. Many of them watch the show to gain a better understanding of how it work in competition so some may take away from the show that you can do that. As was pointed out by another, KCBS is looking to address this next year.

Who was the meat supplier (can't remember offhand now)? It wasnt' SRF as in the past years.

Since Butcher's in on here, what do you think of that supplier vs the normally available stuff such as IBP etc?

Buckhead Beef was the supplier.

Back