Old Snake River Farms Brisket

BABYGOTBUTT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I cooked a brisket this weekend from Snake River Farms. It was left over from last season's competition season. When I pulled it out of the freezer, the cyrovac was not tight, obviously indicating a hole had occured somewhere in the bag. I used the same process as normal and nailed the cook. At the time of slicing, it had a perfect bend/pull test. Went to taste it and the texture and taste was just "off". I am now doubting if I did something wrong or if it being old is the culprit. Any input/similar expierences would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

my bet is because it was old

I dont know how your cook could have made it taste that way, especially since you know what you are doing in that respect.

tough, dry, mushy etc, yeah, but not a funny taste to it

I cooked one of them last Friday and, now that you mention it, I noticed that the cyro was looser than I am used to seeing. I never froze mine, however. It tasted great.

How did it smell when you thawed it?

Last edited:
Not all cryo packages are tight, for some reason, some are even kinda loose, doesn't mean it was a bad bag. But, it could have been, and if it has a little freezer taint going on, it could surely end up with an off aroma or flavor.

I cooked one of them last Friday and, now that you mention it, I noticed that the cryo was looser than I am used to seeing. I never froze mine, however. It tasted great.

How did it smell when you thawed it?

It didn't smell awful. I dont know. I cooked a Walmart brisket the exact same way a week earlier and the family tore it up.

Back