NSF Approval on a cooker?

NSF is a private company that has a criteria and basically says a product meets their approved guidelines. I have read many health dept requiring a smoker to be NSF but I have also read that a government agencies i.e health dept can not require someone to use a product that meets the spec of a private company.

I do not know if this is correct or not but glad I don't have to have NSF with my cookers.

the NSF criteria is followed for a build spec materials / procedures. The hd will look at tables, cuttiing boards, containers most everthing...Your local building department that will give you the permit to open will look for the UL label which is another private deal..if you do not follow your hd rules...you dont open...simple...

I work in the network security space for a company that does testing against criteria. In fact I am responsible for the authouring of most of that criteria.

What HBMTN said is accurate. While the folks at NIST and the NSA/NIAP like what we are doing and privately say they wish they could mandate the use of our testing and certification services they cannot. They can only mandate a gov't run and controlled service with public criteria that any lab can test against.

The only thing we can do is either become a gov't accredited lab or work to make our testing and certification req'ts the defacto industry standard. That is what UL and NSF have done and have done well.

Brian

Back