Sell by date...

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My pork loin has a sell by date of the 17th...today is the 20th.

Toss it or try it?

It has been in the fridge

What they said. Open it up and check it out.

So long as it has been handled properly (safe temps, etc.) you should be good to go.

It was in the cryovac. Ill give it a sniff test in a bit. I am going to throw it in the slow cooker....

I don't feel like doing much today :)

Off topic but is everyone ready for their blizzard today?

Blizzard Prep. In Dentist chair for bridge prep at 0810. Departed with two temp crowns and bridge ordered 0945. Got home with only half my mouth functioning. Had a six pound bone in ham. It is smoking away on the Mini WSM with a mix of Royal Oak and Ozark Oak with a few small lumps of pecan. Looking forward to smoked ham salad. Let it snow.

I cook stuff all the time past its sell by date. But I don't keep leftovers and usually flame it a little past what I normally cook. Just one of my quirks. Amongst many.

Keep that hunk of meat! Cryovac'ed stuff keeps an EXTREMELY LONG TIME!!! From everything I've read and cooked so far, I've learned that a solid piece of meat is good to go for a long time past the date usually, and ground meat is almost as long too as long as it kept real cold. I haven't been smoking too long, but I've been cooking meat for the past 7 years about 4 times a week.

The date's on there to make sure that the store doesn't get in any trouble for safety issues and they always stick to the extreme side of safe. Even if it did look like something might be up, if it didn't have an off smell I'd trim it to see if it's just the very outside. Then again I am beyond cheap and just can't stand to see a hunk of meat go to waste. Good luck on the cook!

Keep that hunk of meat! Cryovac'ed stuff keeps an EXTREMELY LONG TIME!!! From everything I've read and cooked so far, I've learned that a solid piece of meat is good to go for a long time past the date usually, and ground meat is almost as long too as long as it kept real cold. I haven't been smoking too long, but I've been cooking meat for the past 7 years about 4 times a week.

The date's on there to make sure that the store doesn't get in any trouble for safety issues and they always stick to the extreme side of safe. Even if it did look like something might be up, if it didn't have an off smell I'd trim it to see if it's just the very outside. Then again I am beyond cheap and just can't stand to see a hunk of meat go to waste. Good luck on the cook!

This is true. Co-Packers that do canned items are prohibited by law of putting an expiration of longer than a year on anything. Though the contents might be good for two.

Retailers take into account home storage for a few days after purchase. That time you add to the pull date.

It is my experience that pork from a cryovac always smells a little funky. :twitch:

That said, I'm sure your pork loin is okay three days after the sell-by date, as long as it was properly refrigerated.

CD

All above is great advise. Though it ma be too late, I would not have put a loin in the crock pot. Cooking it all day will not make it better. If you wanted to be lazy, put it on the oven until it reaches 140. At this point you can eat it or freeze it.

All above is great advise. Though it ma be too late, I would not have put a loin in the crock pot. Cooking it all day will not make it better. If you wanted to be lazy, put it on the oven until it reaches 140. At this point you can eat it or freeze it.

Ive always done it in the crock pot...except for one time I smoked it.

It will be good enough for me :)

When you open it from the cryrovac . You will know if it is bad. It won't be funky you will briskly take it to the trash it is that obvious .

I doubt if our ancestors had a use-by date on that haunch of wooly mammoth hanging in the back of the cave, and we're still here. If it don't smell rotten, cook it. Actually the crock pot sounds pretty good for that. 200* internal temp covers a multitude of sins.

Back