Crab Apple Wood?

Meat & Heat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just finished cutting a verry large Crab Apple tree out of my backyard to make way for more gardens.
Has anyone used this for smoking?
I normaly use Apple, Peach, and some Oak, but was wondering if the Crab Apple would be good or do you think it will leave a bitter taste like the fruit.
I guess I could always use it in the wood stove.:decision:

Crab apple is just fine.

If you are too worried about it, send it my way. :becky:

Ive never seen an apple variety larger than 10" wow

almost ever apple variety is grown by grafting onto crab trees. I dont know the science but at the school I work at, they have a apple tree that grows like 8 different apple varieties all grafted onto different branches

28"? Wow. I've never seen a crabapple close to that size.Yall grow 'em big in Colorado!

That's not a crab apple, that's a CRAB APPLE!

Yeah,
That's what I thought when I bought the place last September.
The house was built in 72 and I think the tree is around the same age.
It was starting to rot in the middle so it didn't have much longer. I have one in the front yard that is a shade smaller but in alot better shape so it can stay for now.

Is Crabapple the same thing as Osage Orange? (also called Bodark, hedgeapple, etc.) If so, it's a very dense wood that is good for smoking. Bodark is one of the denser woods in North America. I would like to find a large Bodark tree and use the wood for guitar building.

Edit: After checking, I think Osage Orange is known as "Hedge Apple" not "Crab Apple".

Last edited:
Back