• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How Do You Store Your Cast Iron?

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Okay so the big question is.......How do you store your cast iron long term? So Mrs Igotgas and I recently bought one of these

IMG_4022_zps130e752c.jpg

to put these in

DSC00090_zps24a257aa.jpg

and I want to store these in the hauler

3163ADEE-4DDD-429C-9B83-F2989D4FD326-629-0000010BA55B8447_zpsde2d6a6c.jpg

What is the best way to store cast iron long term. I plan on leaving the Dutch Ovens in the toy hauler permanently. I have others that I use at home, so what is the best way to store these in my hauler to insure that they are ready to go when I am?

I keep mine in the toy hauler coated with oil and I take 2 paper towels and fold them length wise and have them sticking out under the lids. My idea is that any moisture that gets in it the paper towel will help wick it out.

I keep mine in the toy hauler coated with oil and I take 2 paper towels and fold them length wise and have them sticking out under the lids. My idea is that any moisture that gets in it the paper towel will help wick it out.

+1 to the paper towel idea, I do that as well.

I have 4 DO's and all are wiped with Pam before storing, then add paper towel to wick out under lid, then all are stored in their own storage sacks I got at Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's.. Keeps out critters and dirt...

Thanks for all the replies. Do you all fold the paper towels so they are thick? Or do you just set it in there?

Thanks for the tip about the bags Tulare.

Our scout troop has numerous cast iron Dutch ovens and skillets. They are used no more than one weekend per month. When not in use, they are stored in one of our trailers, in a detached, unheated garage. The cast iron is clean, dry and lightly oiled, nothing else. They are always ready to use, and that is to be used over an open fire, by boys ages 11 to 18. If that stands up to use by said youngsters, then I suspect such care will be more than enough for a Brethren member. As for personal experience, my favorite Dutch oven lives in the garage when not in use, and does not suffer from corrosion or other issues. I do think that it helps that I deep-fry in it a few times per year. I think that some of the best (if not so practical) seasoning.

Thanks for all the replies. Do you all fold the paper towels so they are thick? Or do you just set it in there?

Thanks for the tip about the bags Tulare.

I just fold the 2 paper towels still attached to each one time in half length wise. I have a 12" DO and it sticks out under lid a few inches on each side. I only do that to one I leave in the camper.

I use the paper towels to hold open lid and to keep moisture out of but I also take a grocery bag the paper type not the plastic that I keep the dutch oven in to stay clean.....

For what it is worth i also use paper towels if there is any moisture the towels wiil take care of it .. I oil before and after . It works for me

Great lookin' toys Chad! :grin:

Make sure you dry the pans with heat... stove top. Then use paper towel and Crisco or vegetable oil to coat... the pans will last forever that way!

Back