Akron Temp Control Issue

Av8tor

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all I wanted to throw this out there in case someone else out there was having the same issue that I have been having cooking on my Akron Komodo. In short no matter how I adjusted my vents I could not maintain any temperature range without adjusting the vents every few minutes. So I set out to do some trial runs to learn how to do it. My goal is to be able to maintain a 20 degree range with little effort.

After a few runs using RO Lump (with no wood chunks) I was still having the same problem, unable to maintain a temperature steady within 20 degrees.

So, I took a step back and thought backward about it for a minute and then it finally dawned on me. I am using to much lump!

I shut it down and started my final run of the day. Step 1 was to completely clean out the ash pan. Step 2 was to light my chimney 3/4 full with lump. Once it was ready I dumped it in closed the lid and set my vents to just slightly open. My temperature ran up to 280 and stabilized.

I am no longer seeing large temperature swings. It appears I may have found the answer, but I will reserve final judgement until I see how long I can maintain my range without changing my vent settings.

Last edited:
I'm thinking even starting with 3/4 chimney of lit lump is more than I would need to get an Akorn stable at any temp. These are highly efficient and don't need a lot to get going.

Catch the temps on the way up, start closing down intake before target temp is reached. If you overshoot, it's hard to bring down temp in an insulated cooker.

I use the tips talked about before on some thread - I put a pile of lump in then oil some dryer lint and light it in my lump pile. Very little fire required to keep the temps. I also think lighting 3/4 a chimney is a bit much...

el ropo and superdan are right. i use a type of minion method to light my akorn where my lump is piled up kind of like a small volcano and i use half of a weber starter cube to light one piece of lump on top. i start closing down the vents at about 160 and it's not hard to park it at 250-275. the akorn tends to want to run hotter than the popular 225(225 is not required imho btw) but i like to let it because i'm more interested in a fire that's burning efficiently than being choked out. if you havent already check out the akorn section on the kamadoguru forum or jmsetzler has a ton of youtube videos about this grill. here is a link to the method i use to start my akorn and it works great. hopefully this helps and i havent rambled on too much :razz:

http://kamadoguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=637

Back