Real grocery store. Real meat. Real southern hospitality.

Hawg Father of Seoul

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In another thread a guy was stating how hard it was for him to find chuck steaks that were thick. My first thought was... okay ask them to cut them thicker for you. Then I woke up, some of you guys have to pay through the nose for meat and others have meat cutters who don't care. We are lucky here in our southern paradise.

I went to the grocery store and asked for 4 coppas. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about, but he happily obliged to the best of his ability. You can not ask for more than that. If you do, we wouldn't get along.

Price of pork butt $1.59, just getting the "money" end...priceless.

coppacabana.jpg

That's good looking meat. I'm fortunate enough to have a butcher here who does everything but cook it for me. He stays late if I can't get there in time but told him I was coming, he cuts anything and everything for me, and has great deals. Nothing like a small, local business. I refer a lot of people to him, and in return he throws stuff my way on occasion. Way better than a franchise grocery store.

Wait, you had him just cut the money muscle off of four butts? Now someone is gonna get 4 butts with no money muscle. And then they will come on here and ask what part if the money muscle and we will launch into the rant that nobody cuts meat right anymore.

Wait, you had him just cut the money muscle off of four butts? Now someone is gonna get 4 butts with no money muscle. And then they will come on here and ask what part if the money muscle and we will launch into the rant that nobody cuts meat right anymore.

No. Lots of people are going to get "country style ribs" with no money muscle attached. :becky:

It'll make them fit in the package better. :wink:

BTW doesn't your butcher cut the coulotte off of other people's top sirloin and the flat iron out of the chuck?

My butcher is in Berkeley, she cuts it into all manner of 3 to 6 ounce bits. Unless I ask for otherwise. But, oddly, she never sections the chuck ribs, I can always get them full length. Oh, and there are always meaty beef back ribs in winter, as she says the minute someone ask for boneless prime rib, she just makes the easiest cut possible, that she doesn't bother skimming the bone. Bonus!

My butcher is in Berkeley, she cuts it into all manner of 3 to 6 ounce bits. Unless I ask for otherwise. But, oddly, she never sections the chuck ribs, I can always get them full length. Oh, and there are always meaty beef back ribs in winter, as she says the minute someone ask for boneless prime rib, she just makes the easiest cut possible, that she doesn't bother skimming the bone. Bonus!

You officially suck Bob.:tsk:

BTW, 'you suck' is incredibly homophobic and it is more that I lick than suck, but, there you go.

Has this thread been butchered yet?:shocked:

AAGGGHHHH!! I'm so jealous... I can never find decent beef ribs in the stores here and can't find a local butcher either.

AAGGGHHHH!! I'm so jealous... I can never find decent beef ribs in the stores here and can't find a local butcher either.

Yep. The beef ribs I saw in my local Mom and Pop a couple days ago were all shiners. SELECT shiners to boot.

When that picture came up, my jaw dropped. Didn't need to read anything. So anyone else I should be jealous of aside from the two so far in this thread. :tsk:

I've yet to try beef ribs, still learning how to smoke regular ribs without them coming out dry. But, in another thread, we narrowed down the issue to be the "access door" that I cut into my UDS. That, apparently, I didn't need lol.

It really is good to have a local butcher that knows their stuff. I've been going to a local grocery store, Bells, and some of you may recall me talking about how very well priced the meat is there. The same stuff at Kroger is 6 to 8 dollars a pound. And don't even get me started on the price of meat at other places.

The local places with real butchers just seem to do it right and their prices are ALWAYS better than the big box stores.

I gotta learn to be quiet and not type as much....

I'm not jealous . People around here are friendly. The butcher will even stop and talk about the grand kids. Even in the check out line if a customer and the cashier want to talk a bit no one gets upset. I love the South.

Back