Timing question

Blanton

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ive got my rib timing down pretty good and know the length of time the cook will take. How much time to you guys add in for a buffer, or do you go from smoker to cutting board to box just in time?

Generally we try to have our ribs done 30 or more before we need them. We will also allow more time, if we are quite a distance from the turn in area. Also, if you are cooking most or all of your meats on 1 cooker, the additional time you spend in your cooker(adding chicken for example) may slightly affect the cook time on your ribs. I would much rather error on the side of having them done early, then being pressed for time at the end of the process.

Food for thought, hope it makes sense

ML

I have my ribs finished about 10 minutes before turn in, giving us 10 minutes plus the window for turn ins. Only once have we run into a situation where the ribs didn't finish cooking.

Generally we try to have our ribs done 30 or more before we need them. We will also allow more time, if we are quite a distance from the turn in area. Also, if you are cooking most or all of your meats on 1 cooker, the additional time you spend in your cooker(adding chicken for example) may slightly affect the cook time on your ribs. I would much rather error on the side of having them done early, then being pressed for time at the end of the process.

Food for thought, hope it makes sense

ML

awesome advice :thumb:

For ribs I usually have about 10 min. as a buffer not including the 10 min. window. If I can have them done 10 min before 5 till turn-in I feel pretty comfortable (at least with turn-in not with judging!!)

For the big cuts, briskets and butts, I aim for about 3 hours before turn in.
For ribs about 30 minutes before, and for chicken, right off the cooker and into the box.

For us, we leave about a 20-30 minute window for ribs. Chicken we try and get as close to the window as possible, 10-15 minutes maybe. Pork and Brisket about an hour or 1 1/2.

Back