Competition Cuban pork

I love cuban style pork the flavor of the mojo marinade is awesome however, in a BBQ contest I don't think you would fare very well.
As a judge I am looking for BBQ flavor.

not in a contest but have used a sweet bbq rub then injected and foiled with a mojo marinade. I think you could pull it off for a different taste.

Interesting that this is here today. I made a ton of Q this past weekend and for fun one of the extra *sauces* that I presented was a cuban mojo marinade/sauce. It was GREAT poured over some Q, let me tell you!! It really did enhance the flavor and not cover up the BBQ flavor.

BUT, would I do this in a competition?.... I dont know. It's pretty far off the chart, perhaps too far. It may be so far that Shady doesn't think it's BBQ any longer, even if it is BBQ but with a different taste to the sauce.

As a judge, I wouldn't mind it. They dont dictate what a sauce should or should not taste like. If it enhances the flavor of the meat without covering it, you *should* do fine with it, but like Shady said, it may not taste like what he expects BBQ to taste like, and *voila* down go your scores.

Not for comps but I've injected butts with Goya Mojo Ciollo and rubbed them with granulated garlic and Goya Adobo w/pepper and smoked as usual. Came out excellent. The injector needs to have a big enough needle and openings to allow the coarse mojo ingredients to pass through.

Back