UDS Questions

daveinwestmont

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just got my UDS this weekend and seasoned it Saturday and cooked ribs and chicken Sunday.:thumb:
I have two questions;
1) Does anyone have a good trick to catch the grease drippings at the bottom of the barrel, to avoid grease fires.
2) Does anyone have a good trick to make the UDS mobile with wheels, with out welding? (I've never used a welder).

Thanks for any advice you can give.

1) Place a diffuser on a rack below the meat and above the fire and most will burn off.

2) A Dolly. Or you can buy casters from Harbor Freight and drill holes in the bottom and bolt them on. They sell threaded ones.

#2. you can also make a frame out of dexion. it's angle iron with round and slotted holes in it can be bolted together and caster mounted to it. it should be available at any hardware store.

I let the drippings fall, to be obsorbed in the ash like cat poop in a litter box...never had a problem with a grease fire.
As for wheels, the bolt ons are a good idea, also industrial suppliers sell a round dolly that is held in place with thumb screws. It works well, is very strong but is kind of pricey.

Never had a grease fire in my UDS. I just let the drippings fall into the lump. That being said, If you leave the lid off for any length of time, you might get a flare up from the grease.

I use a round 16" foil covered terracotta tray as a diffuser and an aluminum tray under the charcoal basket and have very little trouble from grease in the bottom.

picture.php

Like others have stated, we have never had a grease fire in any of our drums. Some folk like some type of diffuser but we like the great open camp fire flavor without using a diffuser.
Wheels are plentiful from a place like harbor freight that bolt on. No neet to weld anything. Good luck bro and let us know what you decide to do.

Agreed. No need to worry about grease fires on a drum. I don't think there's enough oxygen with the lid on to allow a flare up.

I'm lucky enough to have a barrell dolly that came with my barrell for "rollaroundability". I've seen not as custom fitting square ones before though. I think this is what Johnny_Crunch meant by "dolly".

Here's mine:
IMG_0245.jpg

^^ What he said ^^ Below my charcoal baskets I put a cheapo tabletop grill (just the ash catcher) for ash and any grease.

Thanks for all your replies on this. It looks like from most of the pics the wheels are best placed on the outside diameter of the base. All of these look great!!!!!

I guess I shouldn't be so concerned about drilling holes into the drum for mounting these wheels.

when you're smoking the Air is limited by the intake (with a closed lid).
I don't have a defuser or anything else, i love the smell of the smoke as my grease falls on the coals.
just keep the lid closed and don't be too nosey

Back