Question on cooking wild hog and venison

M

Moxigrl54

I'm smoking wild hog for the 1st time and have heard from several locals that I need to boil the meat before smoking.....? I guess it kills off any bacteria? Totally lost when it comes to wild game and defintely don't want to make anybody sick!

Anybody have any tips for a newbie? The plan is to brine the meat a few days before smoking....? Is this a good idea?

Also ANY pointers on smoking venison is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

No, don't boil it. What cuts do you have? Boar or sow?

has it been previously frozen? here is a link about trichinosis in pork-
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_Trichinosis.htm

I have a friend that hunts feral hogs in the Carolina's and, while he freezes most of it for the ride back to ohio, he claims it's not necessary.

I don't have any experience in smoking feral hogs. I do know that, like venison, they are VERY lean. My friend generally "braises" his for hours in the oven with root vegatables. I'm sure that brining would help as would draping some sort of fat over them (bacon etc).

There's a pretty good chance that both animals have Trichina. That's probably the concern. Boiling isn't going to kill them unless the meat above 135, and then you'll have boiled meat. Yuk. :)

I believe the best method to avoid a problem is to either freeze your meat prior to cooking, or be absolutely sure you cook it to a safe temperature.

As long as the meat was killed, field dressed properly and stored properly you will be fine. I cook lots of deer and hog with no problems. Wild hog is very lean so a brine and injecting it is a good idea to add some moisture and flavor. I think it tastes better than any store bought pork I've had. Here's a thread on a whole pig we roasted last month.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95319

It's pretty much a whole hog cut up! lol! A friend gave it to me and it has been frozen for a month of so. I'm feeding 40 guests with it so I want to make sure I'm not going to kill anybody! haha

Smokey Al is right. Get it up to safe pork temps and you will be okay, if you are cooking to pulled pork temps...... even better IMHO. They are good eating, when they are handled right.

Fred

It's pretty much a whole hog cut up! lol! A friend gave it to me and it has been frozen for a month of so. I'm feeding 40 guests with it so I want to make sure I'm not going to kill anybody! haha

He was asking if it was a boy pig or a girl pig.

has it been previously frozen? here is a link about trichinosis in pork-
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_Trichinosis.htm

I have a friend that hunts feral hogs in the Carolina's and, while he freezes most of it for the ride back to ohio, he claims it's not necessary.

I don't have any experience in smoking feral hogs. I do know that, like venison, they are VERY lean. My friend generally "braises" his for hours in the oven with root vegatables. I'm sure that brining would help as would draping some sort of fat over them (bacon etc).

Website answered just what I needed to know! Thanks!!

Back