Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Spare Ribs...

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So...I have a question...what wins in your neck of the woods...bb's or spares? :idea:

Generally spares, although BB's can also be very nice. I prefer the flavor of properly cooked, trimmed spare meat. Probably because it is closer to the bacon on the pig, while the BB's are basically pork chop meat. I love me some pork chops too...but Bacon wins, hands down.

We can't win with either :wink:.

Having judged I really think either can win when done the best. Great spares and great babies are both great. You can get straight 9s with both. It's mostly about picking one and really working at it.

Babys or Spares...what wins?
:thumb:Whatever YOU'RE cooking, John !

( Mrs. Christine says "Hi" to Mrs R. McGee. )

Ooops, I didn't realize this was in the Comp forum. I thought this was just another "which do you like better" threads. Not a question of what wins comps more. My bad. That changes things entirely because then it is not based on my opinion, but on statistical evidence, which I do not have.

Babys or Spares...what wins?
:thumb:Whatever YOU'RE cooking, John !

( Mrs. Christine says "Hi" to Mrs R. McGee. )

Hey Pat...nice to see you over here...we need to get together real soon with the ladies and talk bbq...over a nice glass of vino of course! :p Hi back at ya Christine...from Rhana...:becky:

According to Yazoo's Delta Q, if you are going to cook an MBN contest, you better cook babybacks if you want a shot...spares will get you bottom five at best.

Based on 3 yrs of judging in the Southeast I'd say babybacks are rare -- about 75% or more of the rib entries (KCBS) are spares. On the personal side (cookin' for friends and family) I like bb's for ease of cooking -- no trimming, just skin 'em and get going.

Depends, based on 6 years judging in the South; KCBS = Spares, MBN = Baby Backs Rare to see BB's in KCBS, rare to see Spares in MBN.

JD - we were thinking we would have you over after you return from THE JACK!
And if we don't talk before then, have a great trip! Here's hoping the sun shines on
you folks and the pits are just absolutely hummin' for ya!
And by the way, at The Jack, BABYS OR SPARES?

In Texas organizations you can only turn in Spares for the main catagory of Ribs so that's that. But BBs do very well in the open catagory.

JD - we were thinking we would have you over after you return from THE JACK!
And if we don't talk before then, have a great trip! Here's hoping the sun shines on
you folks and the pits are just absolutely hummin' for ya!
And by the way, at The Jack, BABYS OR SPARES?

Sounds like a plan Pat...at this point I`m thinking SPARES...but I may do both and see which ones I like best...;0)

We normally do spares but recently decided we wanted to do Baby-backs at the Jack so we did them at the Royal this weekend for pratice. It paid off with a 11th place in the open so I think it is safe to use them! I personally like both but the BB's seem to be less work prepping them.

Back