Defrosting a turkey for Mother's Day

BBQCookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've got a 13 pounder, frozen solid, now sitting in my refrigerator. I want to cook it Sunday for family. Will probably use my Webber kettle; thinking beer-can but maybe spatchcock method is the way to go. Anyway, what's safest way for me to defrost this thing in time to prep it Saturday night? Thanks boys.

The safest way is probably the way you are doing it now. I think you can put it in a tub of water too...or the sink...just make sure it is sanitized.
I did 2 birds this past Thanksgiving and used a turkey cannon on one and the Spatchcock method on the other and everyone thought the Spatchcock was better hands down. They were both Butterballs, both the same size and bought at the same time...

Thawing Turkeys

I will be thawing 6 turkeys for an event in a couple of weeks using the cooler/water method. I put them unwrapped (unbroken wrapper) into the cooler cover with cold water and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes then drain the water and repeat until it is thawed. This can take awhile (~30 min/lb) and you must not let the water get all the way to room temperature (40 degree is ideal). If this will take overnight place ice in the cooler when you go to bed and start over in the morning. Store in the refrigerator when thawed. Bring to room temperature before cooking. (about and hour depending on the weather)

HTH

I will be thawing 6 turkeys for an event in a couple of weeks using the cooler/water method. I put them unwrapped (unbroken wrapper) into the cooler cover with cold water and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes then drain the water and repeat until it is thawed. This can take awhile (~30 min/lb) and you must not let the water get all the way to room temperature (40 degree is ideal). If this will take overnight place ice in the cooler when you go to bed and start over in the morning. Store in the refrigerator when thawed. Bring to room temperature before cooking. (about and hour depending on the weather)

HTH

Wannchef, if I start this process, should I continue it, or at some point, can I put it back into the refrigerator? I'm thinking I do this tonite for a few hours and then overnight it back in the fridge. Also, by "unwrapped," do you mean I should take the plastic wrapping it came in off, or simply leave that on but don't wrap it with anything else?

No do not remove the wraper. I didn't mean take it off I meant definitely leave it on with no holes in it. Yes you can put it back in the refrigerator overnight. I usually just ice it down though since it should stay below 40 degrees in the cooler.

No do not remove the wraper. I didn't mean take it off I meant definitely leave it on with no holes in it. Yes you can put it back in the refrigerator overnight. I usually just ice it down though since it should stay below 40 degrees in the cooler.

Got the bird defrosted in time, thanks! Butterflyed and direct grilled with some cherrywood a fellow Brethern dropped off: mom and rest of family loved it!

Back