Same Question Different Beef!

jpouchman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am thinking about offering smoked prime rib for x-mas. I would do a boneless choice cut. They average 13lbs. I have a meat packing facility that I buy from so pricing will be great. I was thinking offering them in 4lb roasts. This way if they have a bigger group they can get 2 or 3. Has anyone sold smoked prime ribs before to vend? If so did, what size did you use and how did you price it? I have a small commercial kitchen, so I would set up a pick up time on x-mas eve and have people come there to get it. I would use the FEC for this cook for sure.

*I did one on my FEC 100 for Thanksgiving & it kick BUTT!

I would sell them 4-5lb finish weight for no less than $22/lb. I would under cook them so that warming would finish the cooking to med. rare. I would also vacuum seal them to ensure no loss of moisture and have the Customer bring them to tempature by placing in the oven, bag and all, for one hour at 200', then open on board and rest for 10 min and then slice.

Hope that helps.

Agree that you sell them cold for reheating. So you need ability to cool safely. I would cook ato about 120 so when it's warmed there would still be some rare in the middle. In order to get it reheated right you need to do one in advance, cool then reheat so you can say heat for x minutes at y degrees for best results.

I guess pricing is up to you but $20 per lb as a minimum sounds like a starting point for cooked weight. Shouldn't have too much shrinkage. Now the problem with sellin by the LB is you really need a certified scale to do it. Also you are selling cooked product so in most states you need to collect sales tax unless you are operating illegially. If you're under the radar then cut a 13lb in half and say a half rib roast and it's for x dollars.

Back