A cast iron score...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Parsley Lady works at the local Goodwill store. She called the other day and said that there was some cast iron pans on the shelf. She has to wait until she is off of the clock before she can shop so some of the pieces were gone when she was able to look again, but she did get this for me...

P1300049.JPG

P1300051.JPG

P1300052.JPG

$3.99. Not a bad deal!

I used it tonight to make some corn bread to go with our brisket chili...

P1300054.JPG

P1300055.JPG

Nice score, too bad she couldn't nab it all, I like those corn stick thingies, especially when you coat the pan with bacon fat first.

Very appropriate presentation for cornbread. Never came across that piece.
I loved goodwill for cookware when I lived in Phoenix a few years ago. One day a month was 50% off day and I would always find some good piece of cast iron. Unfortunately the ex-gf got all the goodies I found. She did deserve it for putting up with my crap.

You dog!
A Wagner for $4? I picked up a generic one off CL for $5 last night. It's my third one like that.
Good looking cornbread. I think I need to make some this weekend.

Nice, my mom and dad have had one of those since before they had me. She puts a dollop of Crisco into each mold, then puts it in the preheated oven for a while to get it really hot before she pours in the batter. That way the bottom is really brown and crisp.

Good score. They have one with fish shapes also, they use it to make crab cakes and salmon patties in sometimes. Mostly just corn bread.

I have one of those and one that is just corn sticks, they where my great grandmothers! Wish i had her recipe cards!

Very nice score, you'll enjoy it!

Nice score, too bad she couldn't nab it all, I like those corn stick thingies, especially when you coat the pan with bacon fat first.

Oooo... Bacon fat, huh? I have to try that.

She did get some other CI pieces on other days. I haven't taken pictures of them yet. I should get busy :-D

I have cooked in cast iron all my adult life. I recently realized that my No. 10 skillet was feeling really HEAVY. I bought a Griswold No. 10 skillet and when it arrived I weighed it and my old one. My old one weighed 7.5# and the Griswold - same size, same depth - weighed just 4.5#. Don't know what those old guys knew but they sure knew how to cast iron thin and strong. I guess there's a reason those old pans go for such exorbitant prices.

Awhile ago I was picking up a machine tool from a guy who had a pile of scrap metal lying out back of his shop. In it was a lid from a cast iron pot. I asked him what he wanted for it - rusty, looking nasty - and he laughed at me and told me if I was dumb enough to haul it away I could have it. I bead blasted it and reseasoned it and shot a couple of clean pictures and listed it on ebay, a nice No. 12 Griswold Tite-top lid, and it went for over $120! It was nice to get the bucks but I wish I still had the lid ..

seattlepitboss

Ron I have some of those, I also have regular muffin an dwhat I suppose is a tortilla pan that my mothre in law bought me at an estate sale. Cast Iron is just the best cooking utensil you can own!

beautimus Ron! that same thang was on the menu at our house the other night but I found we didn't have no stinkin buttermilk or milk either one so we had the next best thing PIMENTO CHEESE SAMMICHES.

Back