Wireless Thermometers

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Many years ago when I first started coming to this website, most that used a wireless thermometer, the Nu Temp brand seemed like it was the going thing. That is what I still have, but it is now almost 6 years old, and showing a lot of wear, in fact it is about shot. I am planning buying a new set, just wondering if Nu Temp is still king of the mountain, or is there something better now days? I know at one time, if you mentioned the BBQ Brethren website to Nu Temp, you would get a pretty good discount, does that still hold true?

I also have the Nu-Temp but it is just about a year old. It is a good one. Discounts I don't know about. Maybe one on the Virtual Weber site. many folks here have a Maverick 73 or something like that. It has two probes: one for the meat and one for the chamber temp. The Maverick I had would not stay in contact with the remote half and would only transmit line of site for about 8 feet. Pretty useless. Many swear by them though. Personally I would get a new Nu-Temp.

They are about useless than BOOBIES on a boar hog, I never use one anymore

Jestridge, do you mean wireless thermometers in general, or the Nu Temp, or the Maverick?

i have a maverick. i opine its the greatest thing since texas toast.

Methinks he doesn't like the remotes. The only time I use mine is monitor the temps when I'm NOT working outside. My smokers are around the corner of the house and down 12 steps. PITA to keep going up and down for a temp check.

Hey Mark,
I've been using the no name el cheapo wireless from Wally World for the last 2 years. 16 bucks and it works just fine. Sucks batteries, but that's just because I forget to turn it off when done.

I like the Maverick.....works flawless. Have had it about 4 years and have used it in temps in the high 90's to below zero...no problems.
I have heard mixed reviews in regard to the Maverick...but just my experience.

Wayne

The thing I like now is, I can run three different probes at once. One for the chamber temp, and the other two I can use for meat temps. With this Traeger, the temp probe in it is pretty close, so now I can actually have three differet meats in, and know what each ones temp is.

Kevin, can the Walmart brand have multiple probes?

Psyco Realm, same question, Maverick handle multiple probes?

Kevin, can the Walmart brand have multiple probes?

No, but they select one of ten frequencies at start up. If I understand correctly you can use up to ten separate units in the same vicinity with a little time setting them up. I use 3 at a time with no problems.

All in general, After you cook awhile you know what going to happen I have bought dozens of those thing. All you nead is a 16 bucks Taylor when it tear up pitch it. We not doing rocket science.

Well for those of us that cook in comps, its important to monitor temps closely. I use the maverik 73 but the probe cables are very easy to damage. So I have also been looking for something different.

Well for those of us that cook in comps, its important to monitor temps closely. I use the maverik 73 but the probe cables are very easy to damage. So I have also been looking for something different.

Don't close your lid on the wires and that won't happen. :p

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I've got the redi-check with only one probe which I think is the maverick et-72. Got it as a gift from bed bath beyond 6 months ago.

I am very pleased with transmission range. I place the receiver in the bedroom which is about 50 feet away and 10 feet around a corner from the grill. If that makes any sense.

I have used it about 2 dozen times with many of those times going over 8 hours, including one time I left the transmitter on for about 40 hours. I have yet to change the batteries in that time.

I have left it out in the rain twice. Next day nothing. Both times I opened the case and dried it out in the sun for 6+ hours, reinstalled the batteries and it was good to go.

Still reads 211 in a pot of boiling water.. close enough.

The redi-check has worked great for me thus far but I'd get the two probe model if you can.

Yeah, I wouldn't close the lid on top of the therm wires on a consistent basis.. Drill a hole..

turkey0029761784.jpg

tritip0056000343.jpg

tritip0066280619.jpg

I picked up a used NU-Temp from a guy that wanted something less complicated (WTF!! It was free)

So I called Nu-Temp (Pal Products) to order a new probe and a couple more remotes and probes to round it out and I mentioned that it was the Brethren preferred remote thermo and they did in fact cut me a very sweet deal (Thanks to Phil!) and shipped it fast to boot!

Brethren discount still applies, that is what I was waiting to hear!!! Thank you!

I just picked up a Webber Style thermo yesterday. It's not what I thought it would be. Looks like it will work tho. IF I would have checked the boards FIRST I would have prob went a different route. Good info for future buys!

JA

Have you hear about people that claim they can't wear a watch, must be the same about the remote for me. After a few time they screw up.

Back