Memphis in May winner

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just read on another forum that Big Bob Gibson from Decatur Alabama won first place in shoulder and Grand Champion at this year's MIM BBQ Contest.IF this is true.CONGRATS to the team.:thumb::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumb:It could not have gone to a better bunch of folks.:-D A special CONGRATS to Ken Hess,one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I have to agree about Ken Hess. Wicked smart, formal culinary training, but as humble of a guy you could meet.

is there an officlal MIM site to get results from?

looks like Yazoo's Delta Q took whole hog! Go Pete and Melissa!

The Bastey Boys are listed as under the Patio Porkers?? did they win?

I was hoping to have heard more coming out of Memphis this past weekend, this is some kind of crazy year for those guys!

Here I was saying I had to root for my neighbors; Lonnie of Bubba Grills even though I really wanted Pete and Melissa to repeat. They both won their categories! Great job Pete! Congrats, and sorry you didnt GC again.

Congrats, Ken and Big Bob Gibson team!!

I have to agree about Ken Hess. Wicked smart, formal culinary training, but as humble of a guy you could meet.

No kidding! More proof...if it were actually needed. We stop in at BBG's every year on the way to or fro the beach every year. Last summer we found ourselves nearing Decatur early in the morning and wanted to pick up some BBQ for a picnic later. Called to see when they opened and as I came to find out Ken answered the phone and told us to stop on by. While our order was being put together we of course got to talking bbq. I asked if he ever accompanied Chris to competitions and he very matter of factly said he had gone to a couple sounding as if he were only a gopher. Jump ahead 10 months to last weeks comp in Louisville. Our cook site is right across from BBG and while setting up look over and see a familiar face (and not Chris Lilly's). I approached Ken and asked if he remembered some guy calling early in the morning last summer about picking up some bbq for the road. Remembering he got a big gracious smile on his face and we reintroduced ourselves and talked for a bit. Who would have known last summer I was talking with Chris Lilly's go to guy for competitive bbq. They ended up winning the invitational rib cookoff in Louisville later that day and sure enough we see him a few days later on Best in Smoke. The creme de la creme he and Chris take GC at Memphis in May. Super nice guy. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of Mr. Ken Hess!

Bastey Boys took first in wings and seafood and 2nd in Patio Porkers which is exactly what they wanted. It was a great weekend and great makeup venue!

Always an awesome time with awesome friends and being with Chris, Ken and crew for the win was amazing. I'll have a ton of video soon.

IMG_1231.jpg

Nice job Andy and crew, can't wait to hear details!

lets get it up Cint! Enquiring minds want to know!

Nice job Andy and crew, can't wait to hear details!

lets get it up Cint! Enquiring minds want to know!

It's going to take a while to get through three days worth of coverage but I'm going to start with the finals/awards tonight.

anywhere to see pictures of the winning submissions? need as much to compare to as possible.

Does anybody know the stats on the past winners of MIM as far as what category wins consitently overall? I notice a few times it was shoulder, how many times has it been ribs or whole hog?

Dont know about stats, that's a good question. Pete of Yazoo's (a brethren by the way) won whole hog now 2 years in a row and he GC'd last year with it.
231105_2085778111033_1442561841_32468099_6591757_n.jpg

Does anybody know the stats on the past winners of MIM as far as what category wins consitently overall? I notice a few times it was shoulder, how many times has it been ribs or whole hog?

Since 1978, there have been 13 winners from the rib category, 9 from shoulder and 12 from hog.

In the last 10 years, there was one winner from ribs, 4 from shoulder and 5 from hog.

There are a handful of teams that have won the whole thing twice (Apple City, Pyropigmaniacs, Willinghams, Holy Smokers Two) and there are now two 3x winners, Jacks Old South and Big Bob Gibson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back