• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's an Oklahoma Joes Vertical Smoker Worth?

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to look at this smoker in the morning. I'm curious what a smoker like this is worth? It has 4 17" X 17" racks.

3Ga3Mc3H65If5E65Jcd2sbc2130330e1a1163.jpg

3G33K13Fa5I25Kf5Jfd2s9ac98fe948411539.jpg

That is a Oklahoma Joe's Vertical Roasting Oven. Depends how bad you want it. I searched for one for over a year and finally found one in striking distance. I paid $350 for mine. However, the price I paid included delivery 180 miles round trip. There are not many around. I would start at approx $200 depending on the condition. It is a well built smoker with a difuser box. Built much better than the New Braunfels Bandera. I have used mine twice and have been pleased. Below is a picture.

Last edited:
That rusty ole thang. I would offer them $100 and work up to there asking price. :clap: I found the listing. :mmph:

WPS !

Well, I bought it for $200. Look forward to seeing how well it holds temps and the temp distribution through the smoker box.

Harris92, what do you mean by a "diffuser box"?

Mine has removable a difuser box at the bottom. Distributes the heat more evenly. The holes get progressively bigger the further away from the fire box.

Last edited:
U wont be disappointed. U got a good deal for a great smoker. I would have easily paid 300 -400 for an original ok joe just for the legacy.

Check out the bandera 101 doc for some ideas but u wont need alot of the mods in the ok joe. Its better built than the bandera. Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for posting that picture. Mine doesn't have the diffuser box. Maybe I can make one similar to this based on that picture. It appears it has a 1" or so clearance around the perimeter of the box best I can tell from this picture. Does that sound right?

Edit: Now I'm wondering if I could contact Horizon and buy a diffuser box from them?

I have that exact same thing. Paid $225 for mine, used, but in new condition.
That diffuser box is a great thing. I still don't use the bottom rack much though as it runs about 100 degrees hotter that close to the FB. Congrats on the new addition to the family!

If you want to send me your email via private message I will be happy to take several close up pictures for you. It wont be until tomorrow morning as I am smoking in it right now.

Will send the pics and measurements in the morning (once the smoker cools off).

Thanks

Never mind, found the Bandera 101 document...........

A heat diffuser is a must with most smokers but so is a heat sink. I am old school so I use a water pan but some use sand.

BTW: I agree that you got a good deal on a great old school vertical smoker. Spend the time and get all the rust off. Rust is your enemy. Do the mods and fire that bad boy up. You're gonna love it!!

Congrats on the cool vertical. Don't see too many Okie Joes around here. Been wathing a Okie charcoal grill on CL.

U wont be disappointed. U got a good deal for a great smoker. I would have easily paid 300 -400 for an original ok joe just for the legacy.

Check out the bandera 101 doc for some ideas but u wont need alot of the mods in the ok joe. Its better built than the bandera. Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As to the original question--PRICELESS!!
The Dera was my first venture into the wonderful world of smoking, both at home and at comps.
KCQUER (RIP) and many of us Moded and massaged ours to death!
Those threads are here in our history.
Fun Days at the beginnings of the forum 8)

The only reason I do not have one now is that I grew into Pellet Cooking and left all of the old school stuff behind!

Good Cookers!!

TIM

Haris92, just now realized my "never mind" comment above might be misunderstood to be directed at you. I would still like the pics and measurements of the diffuser when you get a chance. I had asked where the Bandura document was kept.......and when I found it I edited that post saying never mind, I had found it.

Sorry for any confusion.

I'm ordering gaskets for this smoker today. Will the RTV silicone hold up on the firebox (much hotter than the pit area) or do I need to order high temp glue?

Is nomex gasket ok for the firebox or should I go with something that will go to 2000F?

Last edited:
Back