• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any one notice if.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There are a many contest being canceled this year? I am not doing any for a number of reasons, including health, income and a few other things. So I have not been paying much attention to contest this year. Whats your take on this, I know the state of the economy must be taking its toll on some of them.
Dave

The economy is definitely hurting event and team sponsorship and some teams without sponsors. Combine that with market saturation and the comps that don't provide some of the incentives/amenities other comps do will have a harder time attracting teams.

There have always been contests built on shaky foundations that cancel for one reason or another. Right now, I think we're conditioned to jump to the gloom and doom conclusion whenever a contest drops off the calendar.

Economics played only a small role in three of the contests in Iowa that have been cancelled this year.

Waucoma was cancelled due to the condition of the park after last year's flooding and the increased cost of renting it for the weekend this year.

Independence cancelled because the organizers are a civic group and wanted to change the focus of their event to cater to local citizens more.

Dubuque cancelled because the contest site is being used as the staging and materials storage area for a new restaurant that's being added to the hotel. Ironically, the new restaurant is a Tony Roma's.

Waucoma was cancelled due to the condition of the park after last year's flooding and the increased cost of renting it for the weekend this year.

Must have been more the cost of rental, because the park was in fine condition last year after the flood - minus a bath house.

Iowa sure has had a lot of cancellations for a variety of reasons - guess that could be the case nationally - but they do seem higher this year for one reason or another.

Every comp I've been to this year(6) has been up in numbers from last year...

The first year comp in Tecumseh had 37 teams. I think Yates Center(1sy year) has that many too...

I've noticed a decrease in team numbers at almost every contest this year versus last year.
I think a lot of it is the economy scare.

Back