View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Thirdeye nailed it above. When I switched to the Primo, I struggled on getting a nice smoke ring on my brisket as well - I then changed a few things up - I load the Primo up with lump and hickory wood chunks and setup the cyberq II and start my fire with a mapp torch in a few places I then immediately take my meat from the fridge and rub him down and put him immediately on the cooker. I set the cyberq for 200 degrees and let him bring the cooker up to temp (top vent is barely cracked open). I let him run at 200 for about 2 hours or so and then ramp it up to about 270 and finish there - I dont wrap in foil - here is one of my latest briskets doing this method - I am a firm believer that keeping him at a lower temp to set the ring helps, as does using an ATC - there is so little natural airflow in a ceramic cooker (unlike an offset for instance), that the ATC with its forced air temp control promotes a better burn of the lump and a more complete burn means more carbon dioxide like thirdeye mentioned above

Edit - I did NOT use TQ in this - the SR looks a little off color as my white balance setting was off on the cam

Last edited by gtsum; 02-01-2011 at 06:39 AM..
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote