View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I will warn you to stay away from the temps that are anywhere close to 212 degrees. Nothing happens below it. Nothing as far as its contribution to the tenderness and moistness of the meat. In fact, if you are anywhere near the 225 mark you can guarantee that your meat will be doing nothing for a considerable amount of time as no matter what your gauge says, the meat is in its own "sub-212" environment. You do not have to cook it as fast as I do, but if your at least in the 250 grate range temp, you are efficiently cooking your meat and your overall exposure will ensure a juicy product if you do not fiddle with it too much.

That all being said, for those of us that cook pretty fast, like 270 and above, --- I totally endorse, Thirdeye's "smoke at 200 or so just to get that ring set." Now I have noticed that this works real well when you are smoking hot and fast and only doing a small smoke, like maybe 6 or so 12 pounders. On my Brazos Pit I noticed that due to the nature of placing 30 or so briskets on at one time, the brisket's mass kept the temps at bay for a while long enough to set a great ring at 270 anyway.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:31 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote