View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Default Help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong with temp controller

I recently purchased two Auber temp controllers for use with my WSMs, and both times I have tried using them the fire got too hot too fast, and I couldn't cool it back down. I am a firm believer that "you have to be smarter than what you're working with", and apparently I'm not. Can someone help me out here

My procedure:

Fill the charcoal ring with a mix of Kingsford blue, and Royal Oak red, at a ratio of about 1.5:1.

I light between 9 and 15 briquettes of Kingsford with a chimney starter. Then dump it in the middle of the charcoal ring.

I open all three vents all the way, except the two holes I taped over on the blower vent. The top vent is also open all the way.

Once the grate temp gets to about 185-190 I close two of the vents completely, and turn on the Auber, set for 250 or so. I am measuring the grate temp with two calibrated digital thermometers.

I keep checking every hour or so, and it will do good for about 2 or 2 1/2 hours, and then it is 300, and then it's 350, and so on.

I close the top vent on the WSM and it doesn't cool it off at all. Usually at this time I have been getting frustrated and putting the meat in the oven at 250 or 275.

I need help bad

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote