• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
And the hot plate got hot enough to cook food eh? i know they use them in the taracotta homemade smokers.

The hot plate worked great!I only had it set between low and medium and the temp stayed right around 200 the whole time.Honestly..I couldn't believe how well it worked.The cast iron pan worked well also.I only had to replace the chips once in a 5 hr smoke.

First Cook

Here is a photo of a couple of chickens on the new Performer. Sorry no pics of the grill yet. I usually use my UDS but for some reason this was calling my name. This weekend will be a turkey and a ham on the UDS, maybe do the bird on the Performer.

Attachments

• PIC-0047.jpg
    PIC-0047.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 819
Dave - using your BBQ kettle as a smoker with the hot plate, I am assuming that the hot plate had a detachable cord and you ran the cord through the bottom vent and plugged in into the hot plate. No problems with the part of the cork that is inside the kettle getting too hot?

Thanks!

Pat

I started comming to this site about a year ago, looking for a better grilling experience. So naturaly I wanted to get my hands on a Webber Grill. I'm a little cheap on it because about 5 years ago I bought myself a Kenmore stainless gasser. Don't get me wrong, I love that grill but we all know nothing cooks like wood. So I've been searching high and low for about 6 months for a Webber Kettle high and low off of CL and yardsales around my neck of the woods. Nothing. Money's been tight and my wife wouldn't understand if I spent money on a new unit seeing how we have a nice grill.

I did find a small smokey Joe grill at a yard sale for 5 bucks, brand new. It's a start. This year will be my year.

I hate to quote myself but after reading this thread again I found my post in it.

Since this post where I showed the site how I couldn't spell Weber correctly, I've since gotten my hands on not 1 but 2 - Weber 22" grills. I spent a total of $15 bucks on both of them. The first one my mother found at a yard sale for $25 bucks. She refused to take my money and said it was a gift because I always help her out. (I told her that's what son's are supposed to do for their moms)

The 2nd one I bought yesterday. I found it on CL about 10 miles up the road from me. A good friend was having a party yesterday and he expected a large turn out, which he had, and he thought he needed more cooking area to keep up with the masses. I told him I just got my hands on a Weber charcoal grill and love it. He said he loves food cooked over charcoal and started asking me how much something like that costs? I told him about a $100 bucks brand new but you could search CL or yardsales.

So, after we got off the phone I did a quick search on CL and saw one for $100 bucks, $60 bucks and one for $15 bucks, copy and pasted the 3 links to him and sent him the email.

5 minutes later I contacted the person who listed the grill for $15 bucks. She said she still had it and would sell it to me. I picked it up yesterday. She may have used it 3 times, if that.

I sold him a bag of charcoal for 5 bucks and he was hooked up for $20 bucks.

Everyone at the party loves it and they were jelious.

Thanks BBQ breathern for showing me the light!

I have a question, is there a thread or a web site anyone can recomend that can show me some of all the different MODS I can do to my Weber 22"? I did install a thermo but that's about it at this time. I'd like to do more but I need ideas.

When you guys cook ribs on there do you use rib racks to keep them off the fire as much as possible? I've done a 7 pound butt putting a brinkman water pan in the middle with some water then ran some coal and wood around the outside. It cooked for 10 hrs and I never had to adjust once I got it set in the first hour.:clap2: I was extremely impressed. I'm wanting to do some ribs prob. some baby backs. Just not sure if I can use same method as above and not burn them. Or should I build fire on one end then keep ribs in rack on the other? Any pics you guys may have? Thanks

Love Weber

Have 3 Weber Gassers (Silver B, Gold B and a red 1987 Genesis with side burner), a 1980 two tone brown 22.5 kettle, black 22.5 kettle, two smokey Joe's, 18.5 WSM and my two beloved Performers prior to 1995 with stainless steel table and the 5lb propane tanks. One is black and the other is a dove gray. I drove three hours (one way) to get the dove gray performer and it even came with the much coveted original 22.5 Weber cast iron grate which isn't made anymore (complete with original box and paperwork). It was basically a frame of the 22.5 grate and the cast grate fit in the middle which wasn't permanently attached (probably why they don't carry it anymore). The frame of the grate is stainless steel and the sides of the grate hinge up just like they do now.

Never thought much about grills until my brother fired up frozen burgers on his Gold B gasser and it got up to 550 within 10 minutes. Started my collection shortly after that visit. The WSM and Performer are still my favorites.

Kkkkkkkken

dove gray. I drove three hours (one way) to get the dove gray performer and it even came with the much coveted original 22.5 Weber cast iron grate which isn't made anymore (complete with original box and paperwork).
Kkkkkkkken

I (and I am sure others) would really like to see pictures of the dove grey performer. Also of the CI paperwork, since mine has been missing for about 10 years now.

Thanks

Posted this in another thread but just finished reading this thread in its entirety and had to put it here, its like it belongs here. Finally found a weber on CL, go to get it and its a Coors Light kettle! Dated it after reading the thread and its a 2007, and is in pretty good shape, few wind mars but am not surprised this being West Texas and all... Needs a new handle on top, the previous owner evidently had a dog. Will be getting a couple brothers for it next time I go home. Folks have a red and a black kettle in the barn and a black short legged one as well that never get used that will be making a trip! This one was picked up for 20 bucks.

025.jpg

Weber Rancher CL Score

I can't believe I have'nt put this in here before, I posted the rebuild here and infor about the grill. Here's a before and after pic. Still needs some work but its much better off then before.

Attachments

• DSC03662 (Small).JPG
    DSC03662 (Small).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 841
  • DSC00928 (Small).JPG
    DSC00928 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 842
Dove Gray Weber Performer and the original 22.5 cast iron kettle grate

Hope you enjoy these pictures. My beloved Performer in a rare color of Dove Gray and the original cast iron 22.5 kettle grate with box and papers. Don't get too excited. The cast iron grate is no longer produced/sold by Weber (probably because the cast grate just "sits" in the middle of the hollowed out steel shell grate. I imagine more than one consumer dropped the cast grate while moving/using this item. The sides still open like on a normal 22.5 grate.:p

Attachments

• DSC01370.jpg
    DSC01370.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 818
  • DSC01366.jpg
    DSC01366.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 819
  • DSC01367.jpg
    DSC01367.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 823
  • DSC01368.jpg
    DSC01368.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 821
i MADE my friend buy a weber one touch this weekend so i could properly cook ribs. I indirected them with hickory chips and they were awesome ribs...

i had a 5+ hour cook on one chimney of charcoal. I'm sold on the weber, my next auxilliary grill will be a one touch.

I recently purchased a 22.5 Weber One Touch. Once I started using it I noticed the lid moved around alot and smoke was coming out from around the lid because it didn't fit right. If I hadn't owned a Weber previously I probably wouldn't think anything about it but my other Webers lid snaps on almost. I contacted Weber and got a replacement no problem, I out it on and it was the samething, I contacted them again and the next person I got, even after sending photos, said that was the way they were supposed to operate and suggested I move any coals out from around the intake vents at the bottom....

I still think Weber is #1, but this purchase definitely has left me upset. Good thing I'm making a USD.

I recently purchased a 22.5 Weber One Touch. Once I started using it I noticed the lid moved around alot and smoke was coming out from around the lid because it didn't fit right. If I hadn't owned a Weber previously I probably wouldn't think anything about it but my other Webers lid snaps on almost. I contacted Weber and got a replacement no problem, I out it on and it was the samething, I contacted them again and the next person I got, even after sending photos, said that was the way they were supposed to operate and suggested I move any coals out from around the intake vents at the bottom....
Dollars to doughnuts your charcoal bowl is out of round. Find where it's out of round a good bear hug will fix that.

Hello,

I posted pictures on the Weber Kettle thread. Should be on the last page. Enjoy.

Ken

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing but wasn't positive. Got a new lid for my USD!!

Ken, Thanks for posting the Dove grey Weber. It sure is a beauty!
Also, now I can remember what my CI grate was like when new.

Back