• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cobb Meal - Carmelized Shallots, Chicken (& Apple Cobbler)

M

MayDay

Fired up the Cobb on Sunday. Made Grilled Chicken, Carmelized Shallots and Apple Cobbler with 11 briquettes. Plus microwaved spaghetti squash. (Apples and squash from the garden.)

This cook used 3 different Cobb accessories — frypan, grill and rack. First on were the shallots as the frypan uses (loses) a LOT! of heat. Then did the chicken on the grill. Finished up with a large Apple Cobbler on the rack (sorry, no pictures). :icon_blush:

Had enough heat to cook the cobbler, but not enough to brown the top as the coals were dying out (oven broiler to the rescue). Wasted 1/2 hour of precious heat throwing the cobbler together at the last minute. Next time, I'll have to have everything ready to avoid wasting fuel.... :cry:

1. Cobb Frypan — Carmelized Shallots carmelized with garlic cloves, bay leaf, butter, brown sugar and cranberry juice. Finished with balsamic vinegar, raisins, walnuts, S&P. The sauce was to die for.... This was my entry for Veggie "Throwdown"...Week 7.

IMG_2277_W.jpg

IMG_2268_W.jpg

IMG_2269_W.jpg

2. Cobb Grill — Grilled Chicken with Montreal Steak Spice.
IMG_2282_W.jpg

3. Cobb Rack — Apple Cobbler baked in a 9" springform pan, but I forgot to take pictures (late, tired and end of a long day).... :icon_blush:

Recipe - Carmelized Shallots

Someone asked for a recipe....

I used shallots but small onions or pearl onions will be equally delicious. The onions cook up sweet and tangy. The sauce was to die for — totally rich and complex — would be excellent drizzled over vanilla ice cream!
2 lbs shallots, small onions or pearl onions (peeled, ends trimmed)
1/2 bulb garlic (whole cloves, peeled)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2-1 cup cranberry juice (or other liquid), as necessary
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans or pine nuts)
1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
Salt & pepper
In a warm skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar till bubbly. Add the onions and garlic, stir and coat well. If the sugar hasn't fully melted or the caramel is beginning to stick, add 1/4 cup cranberry juice. Add the bay leaves and a dash of salt and pepper. Cover and stir every few minutes, adding more juice so the pan doesn't burn. Don't worry if the sauce looks thin as it thickens up with cooking. When the onions are ~half done, say after 15-20 minutes, add the balsamic vinegar, nuts and raisins. Stir and cover for another ~10 minutes, adding more juice as necessary. Remove from the heat as soon as the onions are done to your liking, cook longer if you like them softer. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. When done, the carmelized pan drippings should be nice and thick, but not burnt.

I cooked these in a frypan on the Cobb, but you can just as easily cook them on an Egg, grill or stove.

PS: If you like your onions sweeter and tangier, add a little more sugar and vinegar.

PSS: You can use any liquid to thin out the sauce. I used cranberry juice because that's what I was drinking while I was cooking. :icon_blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks awesome.

I want a Cobb...

Yay! Another one down, just 6,180 more to go. :twisted:

LOL. Thanks AgentMichael and Trp1Fox. Let me know when you get your Cobbs. :biggrin:
Seriously, the Cobb's a good little cooker when you don't want to haul out the big toys or use a lot of charcoal.

I went and looked at all the pron you are posting lately with that cobb,,,,,,, I bet you can guess what I want for x-mas this year (birthday, aniv. date ect. all are gone, have to wait now)

I went and looked at all the pron you are posting lately with that cobb,,,,,,, I bet you can guess what I want for x-mas this year (birthday, aniv. date ect. all are gone, have to wait now)

That is so cool! I guess I'm going to have to post even more Cobb PRON to entice others.... Hehe! :twisted:

Back