• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Broth Question

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I made some chicken broth 1 week ago. As soon as it was done i put the pot(with the hot broth still in it) in a sink full of ice and water to cool it down, I then transferred the broth into a large plastic container with a screw top lid to seal it off. My question is how long can this stay in the fridge untouched and still be good? I took it out this afternoon when i got home and put it back on the stove to boil it so i could make some noodle soup. My wife is telling me its no good because it is a week old. Any info would be helpful. I google it and have found answers that range from 4-5 all the way up to 10 days. When i opened it it did not smell funny and when i tasted it it did not taste sour.

Sled, it really depends on how fresh the chicken was when you started the broth. The other big thing is the introduction of new bacteria into the broth which will accelerate the spoilage (sticking your dirty hand in the container when you ladle out some broth). Chicken stock/broth will get a bitter edge when it starts to turn but either way be sure to bring it to a quick boil if you plan to use it.

Sounds like you did all the right stuff to make it work safely!

I just gotta wonder how all our forefathers (and foremothers if that is a word) survived so many decades without the "knowledge" we now have :oops:

If your procedure is not safe, I do not know what would be!

Oh yeah--if it smells "funky".....GONE!

Good job.

TIM

Back