• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question re: KCBS sanitization requirements

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I know each team is required to bring three separate containers for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of cooking.

Can anyone briefly provide a little more detail to these questions ?

1) What size buckets, basins etc. are you bringing ?

2) Is there a specific brand that most use or anything you'd find at a Walmart, Target etc. that is plastic and holds water ?

3) I assume the wash bin is for water and dishwashing soap, the rinse bin is just water, and not sure what goes in the sanitizing bin - Is there a certain solution or product that is required in this bucket ?

you need three plastic lugs. like you said, one to wash one to rinse and one to sanitize. you use one capfull of clorox to one gallon of water. you also need a hand washing area. usually a fresh water source on a table and a bucket to catch the water. they really dont inspect for this but it is wise to do this. I aslo have on hand lots of disposable gloves and the instant hand sanitizers.

The bus tubs from Sam's are used a lot - we've got four. They stack easily and hold just about all our stuff - I also carry a large galvanized wash tub for the really messy items - I also take the turkey fryer and pot for producing out hot water. Some guys have the Coleman portable hot water heater and it is really nice.

Santitization can be as simple as a capful of bleach per gallon of water in the final tub.

Good antibacterial soap is a great idea - Dawn and some others really do a good job on the greasy equipment. We try to clean everything before we come home - it's a lot better to be packed clean than have to look at that mess the next day/week!!

Vinny,

We purchased 4 large tupperware wash tubs. We bought 1 extra for hand washing. We purchased them large enough to fit our largest cooking tool. The bussing tubs are a good idea becasue the stack neatly for transport but they can be pricey. We also used surgical gloves while handling the food for our protection as well as the judges. We also brought some sanitary hand wipes. I know we are unlikely to get ill but we are always very careful when handling raw meat.

Bus tubs rule! That is what we use.

If you have a restaurant in our area the rule is that you must have sinks large enough to fit your biggest item half way in. Use that as a rule of thumb. Bus tubs won't cover this if you are using large pots, but I typically don't use large pots at a competition.

Bus tubs run about 9 bucks at Restaurant depot. The tupperware and rubbermaid ones are kind of weak to carry full loads of water and they bend, the few dollar difference is worth getting the sturdier tubs for sanitizing. Make sure your cuttin board fits whatever tubs you get.!!

The rubbermaid ones are good to prep the ribs and chicken in and store it with the covers on. Saves some cleanup at the prep table. You can get the ones that fit in the 150 QT coolers if your so inclined. Personally, i just use foil and make a mess, but i have seen the neat people do it like that.

Back