• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

One more brisket question (choosing slices)

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
One more brisket comp. preference question in regards to appearance in the entry box....

When choosing your best slices - do you prefer picking slices from the middle of the brisket flat where it can be be quite wide and having to cut each side off to fit more compactly (and losing the bark on the side) or using smaller slices closer to the ends of the brisket that are not as wide and would allow to keep the sides in tact, showing the bark on the sides.

My preference would be to use the middle, where the brisket may be best cooked and cutting off the two sides but my guess is that some have other opinions if you choose slices only as the entry.

I prefer the middle slices - and the goal is to get the 6 or 8 slices consecutively! Some folks trim the brisket's width before cooking so that you get the bark on the ends and also solve the problem of the pointy thin looking ends.

To me, it doesn't matter where the brisket slices are from, rather how they taste. I prefer the area of the flat under the point because that texture is better and they usually have more moisture. However, we sample the end of the flat farthest from the point also. Which ever tastes better gets put in our boxes. For KCBS competition, appearance is weighted down. Use the best meat for taste and tenderness, then worry about appearance.

Also, some teams trim there briskets prior to cooking so that they don't have to cut the edges off of those big slices in the middle. I know it seems wasteful, but it's all about how it goes in the box, right?

I tend to take slices from the middle also. I usually include some cut up burnt ends in my boxes as a treat for the judges. I just took a KCBS judging class and I can tell you with confidence that appearance is not weighted down. It could be the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Sawdustguy said:
I tend to take slices from the middle also. I usually include some cut up burnt ends in my boxes as a treat for the judges. I just took a KCBS judging class and I can tell you with confidence that appearance is not weighted down. It could be the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

You may have taken a KCBS judging class, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night . . .In all of the categories, you should first concern yourself with taste and tenderness. After you have those two things working for you, concentrate on appearance. The best looking box at the contest will not finish in the top half if it tastes bad and is tough. In a KCBS sanctioned event, a "9" in appearance is worth approximately 5.1426, while that same score in taste is worth 20.5722. That "9" is also worth 10.2852 in tenderness. You can survive being dinged one or two points in appearance as long as your taste & tenderness scores are up there. Yes, all things equal, you need good appearance points also. However, if I have to choose between leaving my meat on the pit a little longer to get it done and having plenty of time to make a nice presentation, I'm going to get my tenderness right and take my chances with a rushed box. Just my opinion . . .

kcpellethead said:
if I have to choose between leaving my meat on the pit a little longer to get it done and having plenty of time to make a nice presentation, I'm going to get my tenderness right and take my chances with a rushed box. Just my opinion . . .

Mine too.

kcpellethead,

My point was, as a competitor, taste and tenderness are the most important, but loosing points for appearance won't help you win. Will bad taste and tenderness hurt you more? Of course, but not worrying about appearance will not help you win contests either. Thats all. Oh, you are absolutely right. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night. Tonight's ribs came out a touch dry. :-D

Sawdustguy,

Okay. I can't add anything more to this discussion. I understand your point. Just don't worry so much about presentation until you have a brisket product that will knock the judges (ditd) socks off.

Going to KC to judge at the Royal

kcpellethead said:
Sawdustguy,

Okay. I can't add anything more to this discussion. I understand your point. Just don't worry so much about presentation until you have a brisket product that will knock the judges (ditd) socks off.

I'll pack extra socks.

PLEASE make me need them

<GRIN>

wsm said:
I'll pack extra socks.

PLEASE make me need them

<GRIN>

Rich, I take it you're going to be judging at the Royal? If so, stop by #537 and say hello when you come in if you are here in time to wander around. Look for our big forest green sign that says "Big Creek BBQ".

By the way... you'll know my brisket if you get it... it'll be the best one you taste Saturday! :wink:

By the way... you'll know my brisket if you get it... it'll be the best one you taste Saturday! :wink:

That's why I chose to pass on the AR.......didn't want you to come in second........and believe me when I honestly tell you that I TURNED DOWN several offers to cook this weekend........

Jeff_in_KC said:

That IS confidence. You go and get em. 8)

Glad my question generated some spirited discussion...

I agree, taste and tenderness should be the focus.... I was at the same class as Sawdustguy....and he has a valid point. Appearance is the first thing a judge sees and can definitely set the tone for the other two criteria...

My take - pick the best piece and then make it look as good as possible in the box. (My flat under the point usually comes out the best for me)

Back