• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Top Question

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I see some of you use the drum lid with a pipe out the top, and others use a Weber lid. Which is better, or is it personal preferance?

Pipe out the top works excellent. Weber top gives more room and already has exhaust holes.

my .02

Flat Top with Extension and Pipe Exhaust in Bung for me. Love the way it handles....Plenty of Room for Tall FoodStuffs.:-D
attachment.php

I have Weber lids on mine because they were cheap or free! :biggrin: Besides...I was able to add another grate level with the added height.:p

A flat top with an adjustable damper exhaust here. Been watching for Weber grills for months....nothing shows up close to me on CL.

Drum lid with eight 1/2" vents

100_1638.jpg

Weber lid for height

100_1639.jpg

One or the other!

100_1644.jpg

Flat lid, if it has a good seal is the way to go.... I think Sled was saying you only want a weber lid, if it is blue... :)

Flat lid here, stock Bung 2" hole. My Weber lid would not fit! Right now I am really loving my UDS... No more comment on this yet!

I have Weber lids on mine because they were cheap or free! :biggrin: Besides...I was able to add another grate level with the added height.:p

Ditto here. A friend gave me a Weber lid and it fits my drum like it was made for it. And I definitely like having the space for a 2nd grate if I need it.

My opinion is whichever seals best. Flat lid with symetrical holes for even cooking. Weber lid if seals for capacity.

I never found a Weber lid that fit and I wanted to build my own lid anyway. So I use the weber lid on the weber rotis extension where it was made to fit.

So I made a 10" tall one with the bottom of a donor drum and welded roundbar that meets the drum lip and then a flatbar to slide over the lip.

I made a 6" one (for the UDG) using the lid of a closed drum and the lid from a flat drum. Cut the center out of the flat lid and welded it to the top 6" of the donor drum.

Both have a 2" pipe nipple exhaust because I need to exhaust the smoke out of my little covered Q shack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat lid for me,i tried the 2" pipe for the vent first,but mine always ran hotter on the vent side,so i drilled eight 1/2" holes around the lid.It ran ok but it still wasn't right.So i ended up drilling the vents out to 9/16",and it runs like a champ now.

Attachments

• drumbbq027.jpg
    drumbbq027.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 53
Back