• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Great Video on How To Shred Cabbage

Isn't this how everyone slices cabbage? I don't think I was ever taught anything but this way, unless you have a machine slicer or cabbage slicer.

Isn't this how everyone slices cabbage? I don't think I was ever taught anything but this way, unless you have a machine slicer or cabbage slicer.

I never sliced cabbage this way and always hated the task. I would slice down the face, not the point. Never occurred to me to turn the cabbage and slice as he shows.

I actually enjoy slicing it now.

Last edited:
They stole that technique from my grandmother, she used that method before I started school, which puts the time in the late 50's.

They stole that technique from my grandmother, she used that method before I started school, which puts the time in the late 50's.

I wish my mother would have watched your grandmother slice cabbage. Sure would have saved me a lot of frustration over the years. :mrgreen:

My mom just used one of these...

mrP8wIe_FCuCpHa9oCGkpEA.jpg

He makes it look easy....

I opted out and bought a slicer last year as I make a lot of sauerkraut and coleslaw. Was listed at $139.00 on The Sausage Maker website, but bought it for $99.00 at wisementrading.com.

It sure does make life easy. I can make 30 pounds in minutes without any effort. I love homemade sauerkraut and Kimchi

Last edited:
So it looks like I am about the only one on here who has been doing it wrong for oh so many years. :redface:

Hmm , never did the the !80* turn ..Looks like a magic trick on the video ( three card monty /cabbage ) .. Thanks..
Back in the day , in high school, I had a part time job as a prep cook /bottle washer .
I chopped / shredded cabbage heads by the case .

Today , when I make coleslaw for bbq , I really do not like cutting up the cabbage .. Although, I enjoy eating good coleslaw ..

I wish my mother would have watched your grandmother slice cabbage. Sure would have saved me a lot of frustration over the years. :mrgreen:
It results in a coarser textured slaw which those raised on machine-made slaw do not care for.

Interesting. The wifey mostly cuts the cabbage here, but I am saving this video and want to compare this method to hers next time.

Thanks for sharing.

wallace

Back