Baked Ice

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been thinking all week about Gore's Christmas gift idea. I kept tumbling it around in my mind, knowing there must be way to create this clever ice sphere with just as much appeal but at much less cost. I was certain the best ice must come from fire and I know a little about fire.

At the same time I was trying to come up with a Baked idea for Half Baked Little Smokey Throwdown. I'm sure I was channeling Gore or more likely drunk but all of a sudden it hit me and off to the workshop I went.

Now I know it doesn't look like much.

baker1.jpg

But really what we are after here are results. I loaded up the Ice Baker and set my egg at the mythical 225. And 16 hours later

baker3.jpg

I could not believe my eyes but 16 hours :shock:. Who is going to wait 16 hours for a ball, I mean sphere of ice. So I changed things up a bit and went the hot and fast route.

I cranked the egg up to 700 and closed the lid. 12 minutes later I had this.

baker4.jpg

:clap:

baker5.jpg

But wait :doh: the baker had completely disintegrated. Oh well it was still pretty cool.

But now I couldn't just drink. Well I could but that wouldn't be a very good example for the young one so I thought, What goes good with Bourbon? Well what doesn't go good with Bourbon really but what really would go good with Bourbon? I've seen people make pecan pies with Bourbon so it stood to reason that having a glass alongside my pie would also be good.

After a bit of hunting I found the following.

baker6.jpg

The egg was still hot from making ice so but it was getting late so I turned on the lights and hoped for the best.

baker7.jpg

I think it turned out pretty darn good and indeed Bourbon does go well with Pecan Pie.

baker8.jpg

Now I'm off to the workshop to make another Ice Baker. Maybe I'll make two this time. Thanks Gore for the great idea. I'd be happy to make you one for half the price of that other spere making thing.

Congrats, you created Krypton :clap2:

Er, maybe that is Hoth :noidea:

Baked ice... what a concept! Great job, Ric! And loving the pecan pie, too. :wink:

I'll bet he can go outside any time of the year and pick ice balls off the trees. He lives almost at the north pole.:wink:

I'd hit that pie

Whats the best wood to use for smoking Ice? I'm thinking something light like..alder, or cherry. I think there might be a risk of overpowering the ice with hickory or oak. Did it give the bourbon that "smoky flavor"? What was the IT when you pulled it? Did you probe for done or just wing it?...new processes require so many questions..

Congrats, you created Krypton :clap2:

Er, maybe that is Hoth :noidea:

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't set out to go planet making. I just wanted some ice :noidea:

that's certainly one of the stranger things I've heard on this board so far
:confused:

:bow:

Whats the best wood to use for smoking Ice? I'm thinking something light like..alder, or cherry. I think there might be a risk of overpowering the ice with hickory or oak. Did it give the bourbon that "smoky flavor"? What was the IT when you pulled it? Did you probe for done or just wing it?...new processes require so many questions..

I didn't use any smoking wood just lump. I had similar concerns and just wanted to work the bugs out. I suppose it gave the bourbon a little bit of that Royal Oak Lump flavor.

I really wanted to take the IT but was afraid I'd fark up the sphere. I'm guessing it was lower than 32 but that's just an educated guess.

I was certainly winging it.

The thing about these sorts of gifts is that you use them once or twice and they end up just taking up cupboard space after that. Making them disposable is absolutely brilliant! We're going to make a fortune. :clap2:

I never thought of that. But you might be on to something. I was considering making something with multiple containment areas (almost like a tray).

Very Nice

Love me some warm pecan pie and ice cream.
All about bourbon here in KY, what do you like ?

Very Nice

Love me some warm pecan pie and ice cream.
All about bourbon here in KY, what do you like ?

Oh how I wish I could list off a whole slew of great ones that I've tried.

I've tried a few but always go back to Jim Beam Black. I'd try more but the ones that I would like to try are too expensive. I've had Buffalo Trace and thought that was pretty good and while I know its not bourbon my favorite drink outside if a great craft beer is still Jack.

I'm guessing if I could afford to try some of the top shelf stuff I'd find a few more that I like. My problem really is that I don't know if I've met a Bourbon I didn't like.

Back