Maple...

SmokinRoo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We just cut down a tree in the backyard, and since Hickory or any of the other suggested smoking woods dont grow here in Australia (well they do, but no one ever chose to start growing it as it dont occur naturally), I'm on the experimentation and scrounge trail.
The tree felled, is a miniature Maple which wasnt doing so well due to a drought we've had going, but had done well for about 10 years. I'm stuck with a good few sessions worth of wood and am wondering what the verdict is on Maple - what it's best for, how it compares etc.
What doyou blokes reckon?
Cheers
Paul

Hey Paul,

What type of Maple is it ? There are several types of Maple and they can be used for different types of meat. I love Sugar Maple (and being in Michigan it is quite abundant) on Pork and Sugar. If you have a Silver Maple if it is not seasoned it will impart a bit of a bitter taste into the meat. If it is seasoned it is a very mild and long burning wood.

The best thing about Maple is that it has a great flavor and it burns like a hardwood. Personally it is my favorite wood to smoke with.

What we call sugar maple is acer saccharum if that is any help to your identification.

Probably best for chicken and fish, but can be used with anything.

Grilled a couple of T-bones the other night and threw some maple chips in there.....Wow, was really suprised how good it was because it just doesn't sound like a complimentary flavor for beef. Will definetly do this again!!

sorry, but what does 'seasoned' mean?

I have 2 huge 100+ year old silver maples in my yard that are always shedding limbs (sometimes VERY large limbs).

At the least, I'd like to be able to use the wood when making a fire underneath my large spit for top sirloins.

Seasoned wood is wood that has been cut and dried (usually six months or more).

I have found that maple is good on just about everything but really works best with pork.

sorry, but what does 'seasoned' mean?

I have 2 huge 100+ year old silver maples in my yard that are always shedding limbs (sometimes VERY large limbs).

At the least, I'd like to be able to use the wood when making a fire underneath my large spit for top sirloins.
Don't be sorry that's what this forum is all about.

Ive never smoked with maple but my experience is that after it dries its very hard & dense. Its a great wood to heat your house with.

my .02 if i could use only one wood it would be sugar maple.

Back