Another box to look at please :)

imperfectutopia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I helped / observed a friend of mine's team put together their KCBS style blind boxes over this last weekend at Tupelo. I took a picture of their pork box and it turned out that was their strongest category.. Anyway, just want yall's opinion on what I / they could improve upon next time, and what you think the appearance score would be. ( I didnt take a good look at the scorecard, as they were ready to hightail it out of there! haha.) This is just a learning experience for me since I've never done a KCBS box by myself, and might want to enter some of that sanctioning body's contests in the future. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Pork Box.jpg
    Pork Box.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 407
As a judge (which I don't do often) I'd probably give that an 8. Maybe a 7 because there's a piece across the top center that looks kinda odd in the picture colour-wise. As a cook, I would not turn in that box because of the unevenness of the parsley. Knowing the rules, I wouldn't count off for it, but I would expect a judge to. btw, it was nice meeting you in Tupelo!

dmp

Box sure is FULL! That's a good thing. Looks pretty dadgum good, but not quite excellent in the photo (maybe could in person). Looks like it might be a bit dry. I like the variety, but the chunks in the middle should all look similar (have the bark on the top), and the pile on the top looks a bit stringy.

As dmp says, the parsley could be more even to frame the meat better, but we aren't supposed to be judging the garnish - HOWEVER - since we are judging the meat on appearance the better framed the meat looks the better the scores will be.

Box sure is FULL! That's a good thing. Looks pretty dadgum good, but not quite excellent in the photo (maybe could in person). Looks like it might be a bit dry. I like the variety, but the chunks in the middle should all look similar (have the bark on the top), and the pile on the top looks a bit stringy.

As dmp says, the parsley could be more even to frame the meat better, but we aren't supposed to be judging the garnish - HOWEVER - since we are judging the meat on appearance the better framed the meat looks the better the scores will be.

+1 to that

I would give it a 7 maybe an 8 if I saw it in person. basically for the same reasons stated above. Attention to the little details can mean a huge difference in score.

Thanks for the feedback guys! That's exactly what I was looking for. Nice to meet you too DMP, Hopefully we will meet up again at another contest!

7 the box is full and the meat looks tasty. the chunks look odd sitting lower.chunks need to be higher

A strong 8. I find it easier to judge than present. The one chunk isn't set in the box well. You don't score down for the parsley being uneven, but you can't help but notice it, which affects that first impression. Maybe a light spritz would have helped. Bet it looked even better in person. I look back at pictures after a contest a see all sorts of things I wish I had done.

I'd go with a 7. The pulled looks dry which for me at least makes it look a little less appealling, but that could just be the picture.

7. Looks dry and stringy and money muscle kinda gets lost, in the photo anyway.
keith

5 - if the money muscle is as dark as it is in the photo. The piles of shredded look stringy and dry, what I can see of the money muscle looks like charcoal. The Money muscle is either hidden due to poor box construction or to hide it.

It might be a 6 in person.

5 - if the money muscle is as dark as it is in the photo. The piles of shredded look stringy and dry, what I can see of the money muscle looks like charcoal. The Money muscle is either hidden due to poor box construction or to hide it.

so you're judge #6 :wink:

I agree, but would have said it nicer. Something like, looks pretty good but the shredded looks dry and the money muscle is hidden and not uniform. My score, 5 or 6 (5 if you push me).

That said, it wouldn't take much work to get it to an 8 or 9.

I agree, but would have said it nicer. Something like, looks pretty good but the shredded looks dry and the money muscle is hidden and not uniform. My score, 5 or 6 (5 if you push me).

That said, it wouldn't take much work to get it to an 8 or 9.

Yeah, the 3Eyz guys are known for their tact:tongue:

But re reading what i wrote the money muscle comment borders on interpretation vs observation. The observation (and comment card) should be "Money muscle very dark, looked dry and hidden."

Thanks all, so what I am seeing is the bark pieces need to be raised above the shredded and pulled? I don't know if it makes a difference at all, but what some of you called money muscle was actually just plugs with some nice bark on them, so we decided to put em bark side up to try to highlight the bark samples.. I agree totally though, didnt do a good job of blending the one in the middle that sort of seems bare at it's bottom. Also I didn't even realize the parsley was uneven!! haha, chalk that up to my inexperience! Also, it seems like yall arent fans of the pulled, stringy stuff at the top, seems like you'd rather the pulled shredded darker stuff at the bottom all the way around?

6 maybe an 7. Meat looks slightly dry, and lacks the right color... may be better if I saw it in person. I do like the full box of meat.

Here's a sample box that I'd give an 8-9...

http://www.bbqbug.com/ppcontestresults/2008lincoln/~pork.jpg <--- 1st place Pork Lincoln, NE 2008

Only thing I would add to the box in the link is some pulled meat between the chunks and money muscle.

I pulled the pic into photoshop an adjusted the lighting and I suspect a lot of the comments are based on how dark the picture is (mine were). I'd rotate the 3rd chunk from the left so all the bark was uniformly showing. The pulled still looks a little stringy & dry but the color is good. Revised score - 6 maybe a 7 in person.

Back